t h r e e | Marriage & Breath

Sumedh's Point Of View
°°°

Radhika Agarwal.
She was the exact opposite to me.
Bold, carefree and happy.

I sat on my bed with a sigh looking at the burn on my hand. I smiled as I looked at it, remembering her. Not that it did not hurt, but I did like the way she was. She liked getting things done her way, unlike me, and that made her special. She had the guts, I did not.

"Sumedh.", Dad said walking into the room as I immediately stood up.
"Ye-Yes dad.", I said, remembering how he had shouted on me.
"You are marrying Radhika Agarwal, aren't you?", He asked sharply.
"But dad-"
"No ands and buts, I've not given you that right. Do what you are asked to quietly. Marry her.", He said as I sighed.
Then what was the point of ask me, I wanted to say but I preferred silence otherwise he would start talking nonsense about my mom which was not required.

She had left him and I couldn't have agreed more with her decision, except she did not take me along with her.

"Okay.", I replied tiredly as he marched out of the room. Nobody seemed to care about me and I had gotten used to this.

Radhika's Point Of View
°°°

I sat thinking about him. He did not even give me a loathful look when I had burnt his hand. How could he be this way? So good.
I suddenly caught myself thinking about him.
"Radha di!", Suddenly Meera appeared out of nowhere, and sat beside me.
"Hmm..", I said absentmindedly.
"Sumedh Rai Singhania is so handsome!", She said excitedly.
"Yes, so what?", I asked as she pouted and said,
"Di, he is the dream prince of every girl and you are behaving like this? He's so polite and sweet...", She said dreamily. She was correct. He was really polite.

"Whatever.", I said as I left the room.
Was he really my destiny?

The marriage was held within a week because Mr. Rai Singhania wanted his son to get married as soon as possible. It was the day of the marriage. I was wearing a heavily embroidered red lehenga which had been gifted by the Singhanias'. I was sitting and looking back at myself on the mirror.

"Come on Di. It's time!", Meera said rushing into the room as I stood up.
"Are you sure this is okay?", I asked her softly.
"Of course. He's the perfect guy. Karan has chosen him for you, he has to be perfect! Now let's go.", She said rushing me out of the room.

The marriage was held in a large auditorium. It was packed with people and media. After all the Singhanias' were the Billionaires.
I felt nervous at the several camera's focussing on me as I went and sat beside Sumedh graciously. He was dressed in an orange kurta. I realised how handsome he actually looked as he looked at me dreamily. He immediately looked away as I caught him staring.

I sat beside him as the rituals began. It all went in a blur for me. It seemed like ages when he finally put the vermilion in my hair parting, completing the marriage ceremony.

It was around one at night when Sumedh walked into the beautifully decorated and scented room where I was made to sit. I sat on the bed with her veil on.

Sumedh's Point Of View
°°°

I slowly walked towards her gulping nervously as I removed the veil. She looked at me when I immediately moved away. Standing up.

" What is it? Do I look like a ghost to you?", Radhika said at his sudden reaction.

" No.. No nothing. I wanted to tell this to you earlier but I couldn't..I'm sorry but I love somebody else. I cannot love you.", I stammered nervously.
Radhika got down from the bed and brought the traditional glass of milk and handed it to Sumedh.
" Drink. It is not poisoned. ", she said as I looked at the glass thinking if there was anything wrong with it or not. Of course I  had known that Radhika had purposely dropped the tea on me and I didn't clearly believe the girl.

I slowly started drinking the milk while she began speaking.
" Now listen, just like you even I love somebody else so don't worry I have no interest in doing anything with you tonight. Now say would you like to sleep on the sofa or should I sleep on it? ", she said.
I had drank the whole glass of milk. I slowly kept the glass on the table and wiped his lips.
" I..", before he could complete his breath gave away. Suddenly I felt a great difficulty in breathing as I started coughing, panting for breath. Having asthama was a great problem at times.

Radhika looked at me in shock for a while and then realised the situation.
Radha seemed genuinely  concerned,
" What..? Where is the inhaler or something you use..?", she asked trying to hold me as I panted for breath.
" I....Don't ....know.", I somehow stammered as I held onto the table to support myself. My vision blurring away...

°°°