s i x t e e n | The Last Time

Third Person's Point Of View
°°°

After what seemed like ages Sumedh
moved away still panting for breath and looking at her with a smile.
" Really? I hope I'm not dreaming.. ", Radhika said blushing deep red as she shoved her hair backwards.
" You are not dreaming, Radha.", Sumedh said holding her face up with his finger and looking deep into her eyes.

" Now come on.. Get ready.. You have some more gifts to be opened. ", saying so Sumedh moved away from her and left with a warm smile.
I don't understand who is he.. I know he isn't the weak man that he shows but he isn't heartless either.. What a confusing character..
She thought as he walked towards the washroom to freshen up.

As Radha walked out of the bathroom in her bath robes to find a beautiful red velvet gown on her bed with a note on it.
" Wear this and come down.
- Sumedh", was written on it.
Could my birthday get any better?
She thought as she looked at the note with a smile.

Karan's Point Of View
°°°

Everyone was waiting for Radha patiently while Sumedh walked up and down the living room, unable to hold his excitement.
Just then Radha walked down the staircase looking like some celestial maiden in her red gown flowing behind her on the staircase. Sumedh immediately stopped walking and looked at her as she smiled back at him. She slowly walked down the stairs and then up to him.
They looked at each other for a whole as though talking without words as Sumedh just smiled back at her and so did she.

" Don't you think they are in love, Karan?", Meghna who stood behind me asked.

" I don't just think, I'm sure.", I said with a smile.
" Its the love story I always fancied and seems like my friend has it for himself. At least somebody healed him with love.", I said not really addressing it to her.
Just then I felt someone hold my hand from behind.
" Maybe you could find yours today.", she said coming up to my ear as I turned to look at her, astonished as I removed my hand off hers.
" Maybe you could find yours in somebody else.", I said as I looked back at Sumedh who was now holding Radha's hand and took her towards the dinning table where her birthday cake was kept. I and Meghna too walked up to it.
Mom wasn't there for she had been called by Sumedh's father where she went with much disgust, so it was just me, Meghna, Sumedh and Radha.

As Radha cut the cake we began with the traditional 'Happy Birthday' song and then Radha made all of us eat it. It was around twelve noon when the four of us were sitting in the living room talking as Meghna held my hand unconsciously.
God knows what's wrong with this girl!
I thought as I moved my hand away.
I really had no interest in her.

Just then Sumedh stood up looking tensed.
" I think there's something burning.", he said as even we noticed the burning smell.
" But there's nothing on gas.", Meghna said.

He gulped nervously and said,
" Go out of the house right now.. I need to get something.. ", he said as he turned back towards the staircase.
" But-", Radha tried to say.
" No buts Radha.. Leave! Fast, its important! Karan take both of them out if here.. Fast!", he said as he ran up. I knew if he was saying something there was a reason.
I held Meghna's hand and pulled her out. As we were walking out I noticed Radha who stood looking at the staircase longingly.
" Meghna leave.. I'll bring Radha.", I said as I immediately went towards her.
" I'll come along with him.", she said in a determined voice.
" He has asked me to take both of you and that I'll do.", I said as I held her hand and pulled her.
" Don't you understand?! I said I'll come with him means I'll come with him!", saying so she forcefully freed her arm from my grip and ran upstairs.
I realised that the burning smell had become stronger. It seemed to come from the kitchen. I slowly walked up to the kitchen to find it burning. The while kitchen was on fire! And the fire seemed to spread out rapidly.. If these two didn't leave immediately the whole house might catch fire..!
I immediately walked up the staircase to find Radha screaming at Sumedh on the top of her voice.
" No! You can't! I don't want to lose you!" She said. Just then Sumedh turned to notice me.

Radha paused for a while and turned. Sumedh held a rifle in his hand.
He walked up to me,
" Take her and Meghna away from here.. Please. ", he said as he turned away and held Radha's hand,
" Now leave.. We've already wasted a lot of time.", saying so he handed a key to Radha.
" This is the key to my drawer in my room and it has your last gift. When you reach back home open it and see, you'll know the deepest of my secrets.", he said as immediately turned to walk out of the room

" Sumedh..", Radha said talking a deep breath,
" Will me meet again?", she asked.
Sumedh paused for a while without turning as his eyes started watering for a while and said with a numb voice,
" If not in this life, we'll definitely meet in the afterlife. ", saying so he turned and walked away as Radha stood looking at him, for what she felt was the last time.

°°°