s e v e n t e e n | A Truth

Karen's Point Of View
°°°

I immediately held Radha's hand and pulled her down the staircase. Sumedh had suddenly vanished but we definitely didn't have enough time. I didn't know anything of what he was up to, but I trusted him.
I pulled Radha out of the bungalow and pulled out my phone. Meghna held onto Radha who was trying her best to go back into the nearly burning house. I immediately phone called the fire brigade.

"Radha please cool down.. I'm sure the fire brigade will be here soon.", I said holding her by the shoulders. Tears flowed down her cheeks and she immediately hugged me.
" Please... I don't want to lose.. Him.", she said sobbing as she held me tightly.
" Nothing will happen to him..", I managed to say.
Just then the fire brigade arrived and I had to let go of Radha. I immediately told them what had happened and they immediately went into the house.
I gulped nervously standing outside as the fire began to be blown out.
It was after a while that they walked out.
" Sir, unfortunately we couldn't find anyone inside. ", said one of them as I felt a burning sensation in my chest.
" He was very much there! I'm sure he's there..!", I said desperately.
" We checked everywhere sir, your friend couldn't be found anywhere in the whole house.", said another one.

" Fine then... I'll check for myself! ", I said in more of a nervous tone than angry.
" Sir, the fire isn't completely extinguished.. I advise you not to go in there. ", said a member of the brigade.
" I don't care! I need to find him.. Alright?! ", I said and turned towards the house to walk when I felt a hand from behind.
I turned back to find Meghna.
" What?!", I asked rather angrily.
" Its Radha.. She.. She isn't here.", Meghna said as I turned around to see Radha not present on the spot she should have been, behind me and Meghna.
" Where did she go?", I asked nervously.
" I don't know.. The car's missing. I think she's getting back to Delhi.", Meghna said, the fright was evident in her voice.
" Sir, we'd like to take your leave.", saying so the fire brigade walked away leaving me and Meghna alone.
" Phone call her, right now! I'll go and check for Sumedh. He won't just get burnt in that house.", I said nervously as I turned.
" They said that it's not yet safe.", Meghna said from behind.
I turned back, my heart was doing drumroll in my chest but this little concern way amusing.
" So?", I said hoping I wouldn't be late.
She walked a step closer to me, what you could call uncomfortably close.. I didn't know what she was up to but was sure she wasn't up to any good.
By the way, the reason I found her irritating was that she was around my height or rather two to three centimeters taller so it wasn't much an effort for her.
She looked into my eyes, giving me goosebumps as I stood immobile and pressed her lips on mine and to the wonder after a while I found myself kissing her back irrespective of the people who were standing around the gates, staring wide eyed. After a while we pulled away and realising what she had just done she immediately turned away and briskly walked out of the gates not raising her head.

I stared at her for a while as I felt my cheeks get hotter and immediately turned taking out my love story from my mind for a while and get my best friend's love story completed. I walked in into the smoke, it was thick enough to choke someone easily, above that Sumedh had asthama. I searched for him but was unsuccessful.

As I walked out Meghna called me informing about Radha, who had really went back to Delhi and then shyly apologizing for what she had done. It was already evening as I walked out of the gates. The house had nearly burnt and Sumedh, he was missing or rather.. Maybe.. Dead.

I immediately went to the airport where Meghna had been waiting with the tickets, a great advantage of being rich, and we were back. I immediately walked into Radha's room who had arrived two hours earlier while Meghna stood answering questions to mom.

I walked in to find Radha sitting with a bunch of photographs, a diary in her hand and a letter. She was crying as she read the diary. I turned to find a drawer opened. The drawer which Sumedh hadn't allowed anyone to open. I slowly walked in as Radha looked up to me, her eyes swollen.

" What is it? ", I asked in a broken and numb voice remembering that maybe we wouldn't be able to see him anymore.
" Rukmini.. Rukmini Raichand never existed Karan. She didn't. ", Radha said her voice numb as she looked at me as though she had been exposed to the greatest truth of her life.
I stood shocked.. How was that even possible?! What was Sumedh's greatest secret which Radha had just unfolded?! What was he trying to hide behind the false story of Rukmini?!

°°°