Chapter Eight

DARK

It felt like a part of me had died a slow and painful death as I came around from being knocked out. Vivid images of d/n lunging at me with a blade designed to kill demons and then Anti throwing himself in front of me taking the blade straight through the chest flash past my eyes. This wasn't supposed to happen; this wasn't part of the plan. Anti wasn't supposed to die saving me, it was meant to be the other way round.

"Dark, are you hurt?" Wilford mutters to my left.

I shake my head, "not physically. They knew we were coming."

With shaky hands, I manage to pull myself back to my feet and my heart breaks seeing a crumpled and motionless Anti sprawled across the floor, black blood seeping from his mouth, eyes, and even nose. He was dead, the love of my life was cold and dead.

"Why would they spare the rest of us by knocking us out?"

I ignore Glitch's question and fall to my knees in front of Anti. I remember when we first met and I thought he was an annoying piece of shit who I wanted to kill repeatedly, but Anti wore me down until I had to admit his annoyance was part of his charm.

"Dark, he's dead. I'm sorry for your loss but we need to look at the bigger picture."

Wilford puts a hand on my shoulder but I don't shrug him off like I wanted to. I hated showing any sort of feelings or emotions in front of my family, crying was for the weak-minded but now all I wanted to do was cry.

"What bigger picture Wilford?"

"y/n's the bigger picture Dark, you know your daughter."

Upon hearing y/n's name I lock onto Sam's presence and the sadness I was feeling turns to pure unadulterated rage.

"They found the house guys, that's where the hunters have gone."

Standing up I scoop up Anti's body and watch the other egos who were all injured in one way or another scramble back to their feet. This fight wasn't over yet, they messed with the wrong family.

MARK

I'd scold Dark later for letting his daughter know where his and Anti's weapon collection was, but for now I was grateful for the gun in my hand because it meant I had a chance to protect both y/n and Jack, even though Jack had his own gun he was slightly uneasy about using it.

"Remember to stay very quiet y/n. If you hear screaming and shouting stay in this closet at all costs. Do you understand?" Jack whispers to y/n who nods in silent agreement.

"I love you guys," y/n mumbles under her breath.

"We'll be back very soon y/n."

I kiss her forehead as does Jack before the two of us leave the safety of her closet and shut the door behind us. We needed to take up positions by the door so that if someone came in we'd have the adventure of surprise.

The people outside had broken through the front door and were loudly searching downstairs for us. Jack had tried and failed to get in touch with Anti and I was having no luck in contacting Dark or anyone else.

"Come out come out wherever you are." A male chants in a creepy sing-along voice somewhere down the landing.

DARK

Appearing in front of the house we hear gunshots coming from inside and all rush in at once. Placing Anti as gently as I could on the sofa I run to join the fight which was taking place on both levels of the house.

Our sheer number quickly overpower the cult members who surrender with some reluctance. But my thoughts go to y/n and whether or not she was save. I find Mark and Jack on the landing, Mark holding Jack's arm who'd been shot. One of the hunter's dead bodies lays half in y/n's room and half on the landing.

"y/n's in the closet. I told her to stay hidden Dark."

I pat Mark on the shoulder and walk into y/n's room. The closet was shut but I could hear whimpering coming from the other side so I rip open the doors revealing a cowering and scared y/n hugging Sam for dear life.

"It's okay y/n, dads here. You can come out now."

y/n looks up at me with red puffy eyes before crawling out of the closet and into my open arms. I had no idea how I was going to tell her that Anti was dead, in this moment we were both broken.

"Dad, where's daddy?"

I freeze on the landing when y/n asks me such an innocent question. Mark was just helping Jack back to his feet when we make eye contact and I shake my head. Mark bows his head and whispers something to Jack who tears up, Anti and him were very close so he'd be going through loss as well.

"Err y/n something happened to daddy and he's asleep. You know how your mum wouldn't wake up, well he's not going to wake up."

Tears spring to y/n's eyes as she buries her face into my chest, I wasn't going to lie to her, Anti was dead and he wasn't coming back to us.

"How did it happen Dark? It takes a lot to permanently kill a demon."

I meet Jack's puffy eyes knowing the question was going to come sooner rather than later.

"They had a blade which is able to kill a demon, The Host said it's very old and powerful. Anti threw himself in front of me when d/n attacked me. But he wasn't meant to die Jack."

Jack tilts his head to the side wearing a confused puppy dog expression, "what do you mean?"

"If one of us was going to die it was going to be me because Anti would be able to raise y/n so much better than me on his own. Plus I loved him and didn't want to see him hurt."

Mark leaves Jack leaning against the wall and closes the space between us. And what he does next takes me by surprise, he hugs me. The two of us had never hugged or made physical contact, yet here my other half was actually hugging me. The feeling in my stomach was one of warmth; damn being around y/n was making me more human.

"Guys you like need to come downstairs like right now," Glitch giggles appearing out of nowhere, before glitching out again.

Why was my younger brother so excited? Our family had just lost someone and he was giggling like an over-excited school child.

"We better head down then," Jack sniffles before flinching.

Mark lets Jack lean on him as they make their way slowly down the stairs leaving me alone with y/n who pulls her face out of my chest.

"We'll get through this y/n, he'd want us to be strong."

"I love you, dad, never leave me."

I smile and hug her, "I love you even more and I'm never going to leave you."

Dead bodies don't faze me, I'm a psychotic demon who kills people for fun and a living but I took slow steps down the stairs wanting to prolong the moment y/n would come face to face with her second dead body in her very few years on Earth.