26.

1 year later

"I told you to fucking make me dinner for when I got back bitch" he yelled, quickly raising his hand and swiping the back of it across my already bruised cheek. "I'm sorry baby, I didn't know what time you would be back from the pub, normally you aren't home until much later" I whimpered, slowly backing away from him, "Make me something now then you worthless slut" he ordered sternly, taking a tight grip on my arm and roughly pulling me into the kitchen. "What do you want? I'll make it for you and you can relax on the sofa and watch the football" I replied sweetly, opening the fridge and frantically rummaging around for ingredients. "I want steak and chips" he replied, aggressively forcing his lips into mine before shoving me and stomping into the living room. This has become a somewhat routine for us; he would go to the pub, spend the money I had worked all day for while I cooked him dinner, come home eat then sleep. If I was lucky I'd get a couple of slaps or a punch for doing something wrong, but when he had been heavily drinking he wasn't so forgiving. I thought back to my couple of months that I spent with the sidemen, how it seemed like only a dream compared to the nightmare that I was living in now. The only reason I sat submissively while he beat the life out of me was because I had no where else to go; no money, no friends and no family. I saved little amounts here and there in hope one day I would be able to escape but it equated to nothing more than a cheap train ticket, or maybe one night in a budget hotel. My job wasn't exactly anything to be proud of either, I worked any and every shift available at the book shop down the street. But this was my life now and I had to accept it.

Morning finally came, I silent slid from under the covers, making sure not to disturb my 'boyfriend' who was most likely going to suffer from a fierce hangover when he wakes up; something I definitely didn't want to be around for. I crept into the bathroom and put on my uniform, caking my battered face and arms with foundation that would at least hide the bruises until about lunch time.

"Morning Sue" I merrily greeted as I walked into the staff room, hanging up my tattered coat and checking my makeup one final time. "You're on main floor until lunch" She ordered, making me silently groan to myself, main floor was the worst, it's always packed and I get at least a question a minute about different books from impatient customers. I began to tidy the shelves, mentally preparing myself for when the doors opened and customers come flooding in, immediately covering every centimetre of the shop.

"Right guys we've just got to WHSmiths because there's been rumours that they are the first people to display our book so stay tuned while we attempt to find it " I heard a loud voice shout in the empty shop, sending a loud echo around the room. "Sorry but we aren't open yet" I called from behind a shelf, not bothering to go and usher them out seeing as it was only ten minutes until we officially opened, well and the fact I was too lazy to argue with whoever it was. "Don't worry Lola, they are allowed in" my manager instructed as I returned back to organising the shelves, not paying attention to the group of boys trekking across the shop. "Lola" I heard someone stutter, making deeply sigh, "yes" I replied, presuming it was the new guy who started work today wanting to ask me what he should be doing. I jumped round when I felt a hand land on my shoulder, flinching from the contact. I whipped my body around to face whoever it was, my eyes going wide and my jaw dropping when I recognised who it was in front of me. "Ethan?" I mumbled, edging further away from the boy until my back collided into the hard shelf behind me. "What's taking so long?" What I now made out to be Josh called from the other side of the room. I frantically shook my head at the boy, putting a finger to my lip and giving him a pleading stare. "I'm sorry" he whispered sympathetically before calling Josh over, "what Eth.. Lola?" He stuttered.