16 - Come Together

*TANNUS*
I has been about two weeks since the whole sick incident with Delilah and now was time for a check up on the baby.
Delilah set up the sonogram machine she had borrowed from someone in the lab and put the gel on my big stomach.
"The doctor showed me how to move this thing around but I have him on webcam so that he can see if everything is alright with the baby."
I nodded ad let her move the wand thing around my stomach. The doctor peered at the picture on the monitor but looked like he was looking at me and made me very nervous. I turned away from him to keep from feeling liked really was in the doctor's office.
"Can you move the wand a little to the right for me?" he asked from the screen. Delilah did as told and he over his mouth to the side. "Hmmm... That concerns me... Put it right over the baby so we can get a good listen to her heartbeat."
Delilah followed directions and our daughter's heartbeat sounded in the room ut it sounded a little strange.
"That doesn't sound right." I said, looking at the computer screen.
"Yes, it sounds like the baby might have an arrhythmia."
Delilah and I looked at each other and she sighed.
"Is that bad?"
"Not necessarily but it's not good either. I can't do a proper diagnosis over the computer but I would just make sure to watch out for signs of distress. If the baby doesn't move for a long period of time or anything out of the ordinary. As of now she doesn't seem in any immediate danger; it's just a small murmur."
I sighed in relief and saw Delilah breathe in too.
"I still have to do a check up on you physically, Mr. Bracken."
"Do you make house calls?" Delilah asked.
"I can but it would be for an extra fee."
"Whatever the cost. There's no way in hell Tannus will be able to go to the clinic without freaking out again."
"I will have to check my schedule and let you know."
Delilah thanked him and turned the webcam off.
She wiped the gel from my stomach and ran her fingers through her hair.
"You okay?" I asked.
"Yes,I'm fine. I'm just worried about that murmur. I mean already? I just don't want her hurt."
"Agreed."
"I have a question though."
"Yeah?"
"If you don't like hospitals then how we're you able to work here? These rooms are kinda of hospital-like."
"That's the point. They look like them but I know for a fact that I did not walk into a hospital. This is a laboratory... The fear doesn't come from sensory stuff like sight or smell but from recognition. I get the jitters when I see a red cross or one of those H signs. That's the curse..."
"I see... Um, have you gotten any clothes yet for her? A name?"
"Uh..." I said, rubbing the back of my neck. "Not really on both the questions. Most of my guy friend would not take my being pregnant very kindly and I just haven't thought of any names yet. I think Patricia was rolling around in there..."
"Ew... Well we need to get you a baby shower set up."
"Please don't. I don't want to be the center of attention."
Delilah barked a laugh. "When did that happen?"
"Ever since this happened." I said with a look at her.
She turned away and tried to walk away. I grabbed her hand before she was gone and pulled her back. I must have used a little too much force, for she came back on me and ended up laying lightly across my big belly, her back half on half being held by me.
"What's wrong?"
"It's just... I don't know... I just want things to turn out alright. I just want the baby to be safe. There's been a lot of bad luck for me and... I just want this one thing to work."
"Well... If you think about it, at least you know the process is possible." I said with an encouraging smile.
She smiled, still looking unconvinced. I stared at her for a long moment and I moved some of her hair from her face and slid my fingers back down her jawline. I put my fingers in her hair again and began to pull her to me as her lips seemed to automatically part in anticipation. I was just turning my head when the door opened and Delilah quickly stood up, making sure she looked like she was doing something normal other than almost kissing me.
Rose walked in with a huge container of something and Delilah helped her set it down.
"What is that?" I asked, moving to look at the label.
"It's nunya." she said with a flick of her tongue at me.
I smirked a little as Delilah made a face at her assistant.
"It's for the experiment."
"Ah... Well I'm going to go see Oliver. Hopefully Thomas won't catch me." I said, getting up carefully.
I walked toward Oliver's office and sighed, running my fingers through my hair. We almost kissed!!! I mean... I didn't think that we were in that deep now. Was it the baby that made me want her? Because I know it's half of me and half of Delilah? I shook my head and continued on the Oliver's office.

*DELILAH*
If it wasn't obvious before, it was obvious now: I was madly in love with Tannus. I mean, there was no denying it anymore. We almost kissed! If Rose hadn't come in I think we would have really been macking away. What is wrong with me? I just couldn't believe that I was letting myself fall for him. After what happened before... Why did I think that things would be different? Why did I think that all those old feelings would make a difference now? But it did... It really did make a difference and I just didnt know what to do.
"Delilah? Are you alright?" Rose asked, looking at me curiously.
I looked at her and she turned her head in question.
"What were you two doing before I came in? Something naughty?" she said with a wry smile.
I turned away from her, blushing and said defensively, "No..."
"Then what? I saw the way you acted like you were doing something normal. Come on, tell me! I won't tell anyone!" she nagged.
"Nothing."
"Were you kissing?"
I blushed. "Almost..."
"Aw! I ruined it?"
"A little..." I said, blushing further.
Rose gave a little twirl and a sigh.
"Oh how romantic!"
"Quiet... Jeez... This is why I did t want to say anything."
"Sorry. It's just I knew for the longest time that you had it bad for Dr. Bracken and now it's finally coming together." She gave another exaggerated sigh and bat her lashes. "It's so cute..."
I made a face and continued work, trying to get Tannus Bracken from my mind.

*TANNUS*
"So you guys almost kissed?" Oliver asked with a lift of his eyebrow.
"Yeah. Then Rose came in."
"Were you happy or miffed?"
I thought about it for a moment and sighed.
"Kind of mad."
Oliver cracked a smile.
"Wow, it's taken you guys almost fifteen years to recultivate these feelings again. It's kind of a record."
"Recultivate? What do you mean?"
"What do you mean? How could you forget?"
I shrugged, thoroughly confused, and he gave me a look.
"You really don't remember..."
" Should I?"
"No... I guess it's best if you didn't. Either way, I hope you guys get together for real."
I nodded, confused at what he was talking about. When did we ever like each other before? I only remember her hating me.