Intermission

"Um... Excuse me?"
The high school boy turned around to see a shy looking girl behind him, her head down a little like she was ashamed to be seen by him. He looked at her with question and the girl dared to look up. She was surprised to find he was not looking at her in disgust or annoyance but a calm stare that asked what it is she wanted. She breathed in, twirling the bottom of her shirt to get the courage to talk to the boy.
"W... would you go to the Sadie Hawkins Dance with me?" she asked, wincing at the possibility of him saying no very harshly.
"Me?" she heard.
She looked up and found that the boy looked confused but calm.
"Yes..."
"Sure! That'd be fun!" he said with a great big grin.
"Really?" she asked in pure shock.
"Yeah! It'll be great! I'll pick you up at 7:00 on Saturday, alright?"
She nodded, so excited. For such a long time she had feared the boy had hated her but seeing as he agreed so quickly, she must have been wrong. Maybe it was her imagination... She went home and told her mother about her date and she was so excited that she bought her a whole new dress. It was white with red trim and a red ribbon around the waist. It came with matching white laced gloves and her mother let her borrow her red high heeled shoes. Her mother even told her she could doll up and wear makeup.
When Saturday night came, her mother dressed her up and they both waited in anticipation for the boy to come and pick her up.
Seven o'clock rolled around... Eight... Eight-thirty...
Her mother told her that she had been stood up but the girl wasn't going to allow this to happen. She wasn't going to be the push over and the one crying until she saw for herself. Maybe something happened to him? She thought as she drove her car over to the Sadie Hawkins Dance.
As usual, the Sadie Hawkins Dance was in a barn outside of the small town and the girl went in, hoping that she wouldn't find her date there. She turned to the right and her heart crushed like it was a big ball of putty that was being squished by a fist. Her date was dancing with the most prettiest girl in school in the middle of the dance floor. The girl growled, walking over to him.
She waited for him, standing on the edge of the dance floor with her arms crossed over her chest. She glared at him until he turned around and saw her. His face dropped and he excused himself from the girl he was dancing with.
"Hey, what are you doing here?" he asked, seeming genuinely surprised to see her.
The fact that he really wasn't trying to hide it stung her.
"What am I doing here? WHAT AM I DOING HERE?! That's all you have to say?!"
"Um, yes?"
"You are despicable, you know that?!"
"What did I do? You look nice by the way, didn't you-"
"Ask someone to the dance?" she interrupted him, the tears she had desperately tried to hide beginning to slide down her face.
The boy's eyes widened in remembrance and he tried to put his hands on her shoulders.
"Don't."
"I'm so sorry..."
"Sorry? No, sorry is when you pick me up late. Sorry is when you step on my toes while we're dancing. Sorry is when you buy the wrong corsage at the prom! This is NOT sorry! This is... I don't even know what this is."
The boy stared at her for a moment and then he suddenly just laughed. Laughed.
"Wow... you are really touchy. It was just a joke, jeez. Like I would really go out with a dork like you?"
"But you just..."
"I didn't think that you'd be so into it. I mean really-"
As huge sobbing tears escaped the girl's eyes she pulled her arm back and the boy's face went to the side as a whelp began to develop on his cheek.
"I hate you! You will rue the day that you did this to me... You will never forget the pain that you have caused... NEVER!"