Chapter Eight

(Itachi's gift to Miyako)

第八章

Miyako groaned as Takeo used a healing jutsu on her wound. It had been twenty-four hours since the second part of the exam had started, and their examiner had attacked in-person early that day. Miyako, who had just woken everyone up from resting the night, had been hurt during the attack. The damage was minor – just minor cuts and scraps from an earth style jutsu – but it had slowed the group down. Despite the fact that the two fights had put a dent in their travels, Team Thirty was still on schedule thanks to Takeo's mathematical skills.

"Makes you wish you had the first shift, eh Miyako?" Takeo teased as he healed up the last scratch, the girl shooting him an icy-blue glare.

"I thought it'd be best if you had the most fulfilled amount of sleep, being our medic and all," Miyako stated, and Hisoka and Fumito nodded in agreement to her statement. "And it turns out I was right."

"Did it occur to you that I might not have been needed if you go more fulfilled sleep?" Takeo questioned as he stood up, helping the girl up.

"Perhaps, but we survived and we're not behind schedule, we have till the end of tomorrow to get to the village, and we're just under half-way there. Besides, our examiner has no plans to attack us anytime soon. She plans on using the last fights information to beat us," Miyako explained, and Fumito looked at her in confusion.

"Miyako-chan, how do you know this?" he questioned.

Hisoka cleared his voice, grabbing the elderly man's attention. "It's best not to think about it. The knowledge will eventually come out, but for now, its best kept as a secret from even most of our own village."

Fumito nodded, not understanding completely, but understanding enough that he knows they won't tell him. For good reason too. After all, being a Shinjitsu gave Miyako a kekkei genkai, and the second stage of the kekkei genkai allows her to hear the thoughts of others – but only if she's actively searching for them. She had that skill since she was found by the ANBU that one winters day – that was how she understood what the Hokage was thinking, and part of the reason she knew he was telling the truth (the other was the first stage of the kekkei genkai which gave her a feeling if someone was being truthful or lying to her).

"Come on, we best get moving. I want us to be almost to the village by the time we make camp," Miyako ordered, and everyone nodded, grabbing any weapons they had used in the fight with their examiner before setting off, the old man looking at Miyako with something akin to recognition in his old, brown eyes.

No one approached as the four made their way into the village, they had to look around for some check-in before settling in. they soon found it in the form of a temporary booth where Jitsuko – the proctor for the exam – along with her twin sister Aika sat, looking board out of their minds. When they saw the group, they seemed surprised and waved the group over.

"Hmm, you made it I see. Barely a scratch on you three too. Your examiner told me your skills; I'm impressed. Already five teams have failed, six teams have already arrived, well, we can make that seven teams now. Go into the town's inn, they have rooms for your team and your civilian. Stock up, because tomorrow you best head off. The second part isn't going to be as easy," Jitsuko explained as she marked Team Thirty off as making it to the check-point.

The team nodded and walked into the village, easily finding the inn and signing in. despite being in the 'safe-spot', the team still wanted to keep an eye on Fumito. It was decided that Hisoka will watch him, and share a room with him, whilst the other two went out to get supplies and shared a room together.