Chapter Nine

第九章

Miyako looked down at the chūnin vest she held in her hand with pride as she made her way out of the Hokage building. She was grinning from ear to ear, Hisoka was next to her, also grinning. Both had been made chūnins. It took a week before they found out the Hokage's decision and the results of the Chūnin Exams, but they didn't care about the wait as they were now so happy that they decided to go to dinner together at a local soba restaurant. They had invited their senseis, families, and Takeo – but all had declined the two, saying that the two should go out together to celebrate.

They made their way into the restaurant and got a seat at a booth before placing their food and drink orders. Whilst they waited, they began to converse, talking about the chūnin exams and what they thought they could've done better, as well as what they thought they may have overdone a little bit.

"So, what now for your training?" Miyako questioned as the food was placed in front of them. "Itadakimasu!"

"Itadakimasu!" Hisoka announced before answering Miyako's question. "More training on my Sharingan, I want to have all three tomoes and mastered before I become a jōnin. Other than that? I'm not too sure. what about you?"

"Hmm?" Miyako shrugged as she slurped up some of the buckwheat noodles. "Find out as much as I can about the Shinjitsu no kokei, improve on its skills."

"Hn, how far along are you in that?"

"I have Stage Two activated; I want to have Stage Three activated before I become a jōnin. Though, I think that will be a few years away. I want to focus on my training. What about you? Do you want to become jōnin as soon as possible?" Miyako questioned and Hisoka grinned as he swallowed his food.
"Of course, the second my Sharingan is mastered, I'm becoming a jōnin. Who knows, by then Takeo may finally be a chūnin," Hisoka joked, his gaze falling out of the store as he brought the last bit of noodles up to his lips to see a familiar soon to be seven-year-old rushing past. "Hey, Sasuke-kun!"

The boy stopped at having heard his name. he saw his cousin and his older brothers' friend and ran over to them, a grin on his face. "Hisoka-san! Miyako-chan! Are you two on a date?"

"W-what?" Miyako chocked out, blushing as she coughed on her food. "Of course not, Sasuke. We're celebrating our rise to chūnin rank," Miyako explained, gesturing to the vest that was sitting next to her in the booth.

"Wow! You're as amazing as Itachi-nii!" Sasuke gasped out in excitement, onyx eyes widened.

"Are you on your way home, Sasuke-kun?" Hisoka questioned as he paid for his half of the food and drinks.

"Yep," Sasuke announced and Hisoka gave Miyako a smile as he stood up and grabbed his new chūnin vest.

"I'll walk with you, then. See you tomorrow, Mi-chan?" Hisoka questioned and Miyako grinned as she paid for her half of the meal.

"Of course, see you later Hi-kun. Sasuke-kun."

Miyako felt sick. She felt wrong. She felt as if something wasn't quite right. She tossed and turned in her bed before giving up and getting up. She put some shorts on as she was already wearing a singlet top and made her ways downstairs. She slipped on her ninja sandals before leaving the house, locking the door with her keys and heading towards the training grounds.

When she reached the training grounds she got into some light training, practising her weapon throwing and taijutsu. It was two hours after she began training that she decided to rest, body sweating as the cool breeze brushed against her bare arms and legs.

"Miyako-chan."

Miyako jumped, standing up and turning to face the voice to see Itachi standing there in full ANBU gear – minus his mask – and covered in blood. Miyako gave him a smile. "Did you just finish a mission, Itachi-kun?"

Itachi sighed before walking towards Miyako, pulling her into a hug. Miyako stiffened as she felt tears fall on her shoulders and froze when she heard a stray thought cross Itachi's mind. "I killed all of them. Only Sasuke is left."

"Itachi... you didn't, did you?" Miyako gasped out nervously, making Itachi let out a sob.

"I suspected you were a Shinjitsu," Itachi replied and Miyako started to shake as she tried to push out of his arms, but he pulled her closer to him. "Please, Miyako-chan, just know I did it for a reason. Look after Sasuke, he'll need someone to watch out for him," Itachi begged.

"Hisoka!" Miyako gasped out as realization hit her as the stray thought she had heard crossed the teens mind again. "No! Let go of me! Bastard! Let go of me!" she shouted, struggling to get out of his embrace.

Itachi let the girl go, she hastily stepped back, eyes filled with tears, anger, confusion, and worst of all, hatred, as she looked at the boy in front of her. Itachi winced at the eyes, his heart clenching at the look she was giving him.

"Miyako-chan, please," he whispered but she cut him off.
"No! Just leave you, murderer! Don't come near me or Sasuke again!" Miyako screamed before turning around and rushing away, leaving Itachi behind as tears dripped down his porcelain-coloured cheeks.

(I actually felt sick whilst writing this, my poor Itachi-kun!)