| Chapter 1 |

Gazing at the many unknowing faces, I began to feel as though I was living in the shadows once again. I was left baring a secret that caused me to feel as though I was living a lie.

Human innocence watched as our college professor continued to lecture to use about accounting and Finance. I looked to the left of me. Beside me was a girl. Her blond hair was draped over her brown eyes as she continued to scribble insignificant pictures on her notebook. What amazed me the most was how unaware she was of the inhuman creature that sat only inches away from her.

She sighed out. My useful heightened senses allowed me to listen to her heart and breathe that would accelerate every time the professor searched for a student to answer a simple question. Her heart rate would regulate once the professor called on anyone besides her. She slouched in her chair, her eyes occasionally wondering off from her work to a boy that was sitting in the far corner of the room.

"Amira? Are you paying attention?" I looked to the right of me, finding the eyes of my friend, Eric.

Eric and I have been friends since we were thirteen. Six years later, we were still going strong. We had a lot of classes together over the years so our friendship continued to grow. However, despite us being friends, I could never find myself to tell him who I really was. Or should I say what I was.

"Yeah....No." I admitted before we both shared a low snicker.

"Eric, you know I got all of this stuff already." I reassured him, slouching down in my chair.

I was known to be very intellectual when it involved school. Unlike most, it was very easy to remember and comprehend given task and work. This skill has been very helpful for me.

"Well then if it's so damn easy for you, you can teach it all to me because I'm lost as hell." Eric sighed. His eyes narrowed in on the textbook in front of him as I laughed quietly at him.

"Okay ladies and gentlemen, class dismissed." The teacher announced as she wrapped up her lecture. I stood from my desk. Students began gathering their things before everyone scrambled out of the door.

"So lunch on me today?" Eric offered.

"No, sorry, I have to help my mom prepare for this dinner we are having tomorrow. Just a few out of town guest." I sighed heavily.

"Okay cool, well I'll text you tonight?"

"Sure."

**********

The appetizing smell of food danced its way around me, clouding my nasal passages with a knee weakening aroma of my mother's home cook meal.

I walked in to the kitchen to see my mother running back and forth in the kitchen. She was cutting vegetables, stirring food in the pots, and temping whatever she had roasting in the oven.

"Mom, is it this serious?" She was acting as if the president was stopping by for dinner.

"Yes sweetie, this is when you see your new Alpha for the first time." My mother was more cheerful then the rest of us were.

It was amusing how my mother cared more about the Alpha's arrival more than the actual werewolves that lived here. Her being human, I expected her to feel uncaring about his presence. As if he was just another regular visitor.

I guess being married to and the mother of a werewolf really had her interested in the other world. Unlike her, I could care less about the other world. I found the human life to be much better. Accepting. I enjoyed not living under the command and authority of some male who is determined to show his dominance over everyone because of a title.