Chapter One

"Excuse me sir," A phrase that took me thirty minutes of practice to actually say it. What are you doing Layla, you know you aren't supposed to be talking to your boss.

"What?" He stopped walking.

"I am sorry to disturb you sir, but Imad wants to go to the park and..." Before I could finish what I wanted to say - he cut me off. He turned around to look at me, I then lowered my gaze.

"So what am I supposed to do, inform the driver for you? How dare you talk to me about such insignificant things," he yelled, his voice like thunder. A thunder that shook the whole mansion.

"Layla," Imad called out my name, while standing by the kitchen door. He ran to me and hugged me. "I am sorry Layla," he said in a low tone.

"Don't be sorry Imad. Your uncle was just telling me that you can't go to the park today because you have school tomorrow and that we should go another day. Now let's go finish your homework after that I have a surprise for you," I told him. He stopped hugging me and looked at me.

"A surprise for me?" He asked, his tone laced with excitement.

"Yes a surprise for you, you didn't think I forgot your birthday. Did you?" I pinched his chubby cheeks. I could feel a cold stare, I looked at my boss and he was still standing there looking at me - glaring.

"No," he replied and with a wide smile. I held his hand and we headed upstairs to his bedroom. Imad started doing his homework, I helped him where he asked me too. As he completed his homework I headed downstairs to the kitchen. I decorated the dinning room with a few helium balloons, that I ordered for. Then removed the chocolate fudge cake from the fridge. Imad is going to love this, he loves anything with chocolate in it. As I was reaching out for the knob the door swung wide open. The cake fall on the floor, some on me and the person who opened the door. I look to see who it is and it's my boss. Oh no...

"I am sorry sir," I said sincerely. "I am so sorry." I kneeled down and started picking up the cake that was on the floor. He just walked away. I cleaned the floor and started wiping my top all while thinking of what I'll tell Imad. I don't like disappointing him.

"Layla," Imad ran into the kitchen. "I saw the spider-man balloons they are so cool!" He said. I quickly walked to him, trying to divert his attention. The cake was on the counter, but my efforts of hiding the truth didn't work. He is a smart kid, he would have find out anyhow.
"Is that my cake?" He asked pointing on the counter.

"Yes," I replied unable to look at him in the eyes. He walked closer to the counter and saw his ravaged cake. Tears fall from his eyes and my heart started to ache.

"My birthday is ruined!" He said - sobbing. I carried him and made him sit on the counter. I started wiping his tears, tears I have been wiping for three years. Seeing him cry is unbearable, my heart just dies a little. I came into this house one week after Imad's parents died. He always cried before he went to sleep and asked for his parents. My reply would hurt him even more - silence.

"No habibi it's not ruined, Insha allah tomorrow I'll get a better cake," I told him, still he cried. "Don't cry Imad. It's your birthday, look at you — a big boy you are."

"My surprise is ruined," he said, still crying.

"Hmm who told you that was your surprise? I have a very nice gift for the birthday boy. But only if he stops crying," I told him. He wiped his tears and looked at me hopefully.

"Layla," A modulated voice called me and averted my attention. It was my boss, he stood by the door. He already changed his outfit.

"Yes sir," I answered.

"Get Imad ready, I am taking him out," he instructed.

"Okay," I replied.

"I am not going without Layla," Imad complained. I looked at him and my eyes widen. Surely today I am being tested...

"No today you will go out with your uncle," I told him.

"No!" He said and crossed his hands across his chest.

"You will come with him," My boss spoke and I turned to look at him. I nodded my head - approving to what he said. Though I am anxious mostly surprised, this has never happened before. Mr Ahmed just delegates, never has there been any type of communication between him and Imad or me.