Chapter Eleven

"Why are we planning a surprise party for Mr Ahmed?" I asked, still baffled at the idea that I am planning a birthday party for my boss.

"Well he's my cousin and I feel like I owe it to him, after all he has done for me. Besides he hasn't celebrated his birthday in a long time," Adil explained, his eyes still fixed on the road.

"There must be a reason why he hasn't celebrated his birthday in a long time. Mr Ahmed is either going to lash out or frown the entire time at his own party."

"Hahah, say one word that describes Ahmed," he said, and glanced at me.

"Malapert," I said.

"What?" Adil glanced at me, his eyebrow arched.

"A malapert is someone who is boldly disrespectful," I explained. Adil started laughing. He came to pick me up from the mansion. We are going to the bakery first to order a cake and than to his favorite restaurant to book the place for the party. Not an atom in my body wants to plan Mr Ahmed's birthday party. But since Adil has been really nice, and thoughtful towards me. It would be rude, to simple say no. The car parked outside the bakery, my favorite place to get desserts. I suggested the place. They have the best chocolate chip cookies and brownies. Imad loves this place.

We got in the bakery and Lina(The owner of the bakery) walked up to us. I look around and got lost in the world of desserts, the smell of fresh, soft and delicious cake hit my nostrils. Hmm smells like vanilla. Not to forget the amazing coffee she makes. There weren't many customers yet, only one was in. But there's usually a rush when you come in during the afternoon. I love coming to this bakery, I always admired the interior design — it's authentic and chic. The walls are painted with pastel colors, it's so homey. "There's my favorite costumer," she hugged me and greeted Adil.

"So I got your text message and you want a two tiered cake. Is that right?" She spoke excitedly. "Oh my, why didn't I figure out this sooner. Is it for your wedding? You are finally getting married!" She squealed with joy. I looked at Adil, and he ran his fingers through his hair and smiled.

"Lina it's not my wedding cake. It's a birthday cake for my boss, and this is his cousin — Adil," I clarified. I witnessed the excitement slowly die from her facial expression.

"Your boss? Mr Ahmed," She spoke unsure. I nodded my head and said yes. "I never thought I would ever see you choosing a cake for your boss. From what I have heard from you, he isn't the nicest person," she said. "No offense." She turned to Adil.

"None taken," he said in a low tone.

"Okay so what flavor would like? Chocolate or vanilla, marble..." She spoke as she walked to the counter.

"Actually red velvet," Adil said.

"What an interesting choice," Lina said. "Is that all?"

"Yes, simple and elegant will do," he replied.

"Sure," she said. "Okay take a sit and I'll get you two coffee." We sat at our table, silently waiting. I stared outside the glass window and thought of my parents. How much I miss them, and yearn to hug them just one more time. I have to act strong, put on a facade and let the pain inside fade with time. It hurts... I know when I start talking about it, I will certainly start crying, and I don't want that. I am stoic, I'll have to be.

"Layla..." Adil called my name and smiled.

"Yes?" I answered.

"So what's your life story?" He asked.

"My life story? It's rather depressing, mostly filled with pain and unfinished dreams," I told him.

"Who were you before all that?" He asked, and listened attentively.