Chapter Nineteen

We didn't have dinner. Jamal tried to justify his actions to his mum in the kitchen, and the rest of us sat in the living room. Anisa and I, and Jamal's wife. I explained to Anisa what had happened. She was shocked, and mad- basically how Auntie Hudaa felt. Jamal's wife sat alone on the couch adjacent to us. She was on her phone, barely paying any attention to the things that were happening around her. She was reserved, and quiet only spoke when she was spoken too. Her name is Tahani, I know that because Anisa asked her. I think she feels uncomfortable, or unwelcomed. She didn't change her sitting position nor her blank facial expression. She sat still and concentrated on her phone. I wondered if she was really the reason Jamal had betrayed me. I wondered, not gathering the courage to confront her, I started in my mind evaluating, trying to figure out if she really could be the dubious master mind behind the hurt Jamal caused me.

"Stop staring." Anisa whispered to me and pinched my arm. "It's rude."

"Ouch." I expressed and glared at her. "You're so annoying."

"makhaz (shameful)." She said under her breath and continued to watch the television.

Jamal walks in the sitting room, briefly looks at me and than his wife. "Let's go Tahani." He orders and holds out his hand for hers. She stands up, clasps her hand in his and walk out together. Auntie Hudaa walks into the sitting room soon after they left through the front exit.

"Girls lets go eat. The food is getting cold." She spoke.

"Auntie what about Jamal?" Anisa asked curiously.

"Oh he isn't coming back. It's a long story, but let's eat first. I am really hungry." She spoke, trying to act as if nothing had happened.
We did eat and in silence. Not a mention about Jamal or his wife. Just comments on how good the food tastes.

1 week later...

"The house doesn't feel the same without mum." Anisa said.

"No it does not. This was her house, she designed it. Her aura is everywhere..." I talked, laying on my bed staring at the ceiling. We moved into the house yesterday, after a long week of convincing Auntie Hudaa that we were going to be okay on our own, and she didn't give in easily. She said she would check in on us, whenever she could. Which is totally okay with Anisa and I.

"I still can't believe Jamal did that to you. You think you know someone and Boom their true colours are revealed. It's scary." Anisa said, while getting up from her bed.

"I guess he had no choice but to please his wife," I said, totally unaware of how uncharacteristically I sound.

"But still Mal... I'd never let love blind me like that."

"Well it's not my fault that I fall for his tricks. He was just that good of an actor." I spoke loud and firm. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes. "You need help getting up?" I asked her, after I calmed myself.

"No thanks. I got it." She replied. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Ya I know." I replied. "You sure you don't need my help?"

"Yes Mal I am sure." I waited for a while waited for her to change her mind and realize that she needs my help, but she didn't ask for it. I opened my eyes and looked at her walk clinging onto the wall and heading towards the bathroom. Anisa is strong and she can overcome this.