Chapter Twenty Four

Amal
"Are you nervous?" I asked her and brushed her hair for the tenth time now. Not that my brushing made her hair any straighter than it already is. But it was nice doing it for her, she was worried it was not straight, but I did it anyway, she was just anxious. So I did what any good sister would do, comply to her wishes on this very special day that means a tremendous lot for her.

"What do you think?" She looked at me, through the mirror. I smiled, she looked stunning. The makeup artist did a great job with her eye make up. An amazing job really.

"It's going to be okay." I said. "And if you're going to ask me how I know that. It's because I have been through this with Rayana. I was Rayana's Maid of honor not so long ago."

"Yes you've mentioned it." She commented sarcastically.

"This is a blessed occasion." I told her. She agreed with and finally after an hour of being anxious and worried she finally smiled, and it wasn't a wide grin, but I was grateful she did. "Once you see your betrothed, I am sure all your worries will leave your mind."

"Betrothed?" She questioned and laughed. "I am not going to forget this. I am definitely going to bring this up in your own engagement." My own engagement, hearing her say that made it sound so improbable. There was a moment in my life where this seemed so very plausible. But now trusting someone and being with them, even Allah s.w.t terms marriage as a heavy contract, because it's not always a walk in the park and it's definitely not rainbows and sunshine all day, every day. There's even an analogy that says, marriage is like a television, sometimes you switch it on you will see the program clearly and sometimes when you switch it on all you will hear is static and it's ups and downs. Now to find someone to bare with through the roughness life has to offer, that's something that is rare and very much beautiful. And I am glad my sister found it.

"I heard Naveed is coming." Anisa said and brought me back to the present.

"Uh that's nice."

"Now that it doesn't matter, Naveed had a crush on you back then."

"He had what? And why doesn't it matter?" I asked her.

"Because he's married and with a child, of course. Anyway he accidentally confessed to me years ago, he thought I was you. I could tell it was a hard thing for him to do and embarrassing because he confessed to the wrong person." I place the brush on the table and start to pace back and forth in the room. Anisa stood up. "What's wrong?"

"He's not married, he divorced his wife a couple of years back. And how come you never told me this?"

"It was not my secret to share. I thought he would tell you. I really did. He's divorced?"

"Yeah he is. This changes everything." I said, stressed over fictional scenarios that formed in my mind.

"What are you talking about?" I stopped pacing and looked at her. Explained how we were now friends and talk occasionally online. Not that he's become my confident or anything, I haven't fallen for him. No. Just that we talk, and that I like talking to him.

"Are you worried it will turn out like how it did with Jamal? Because I know how you felt about that..." She walked towards me and hugged me. "Listen not every man is like him, I should know. You don't have to worry. I am not saying trust easily, but don't make it very difficult for people to come close to you."

"I will try and thank you, hopefully I don't have to worry about that today. But this your day..." She stopped hugging me.

"Hah it's okay. We shared a womb, I can share some moments from my day with you." She said and smiled.