Chapter Nine

Mr Ahmed

"How are you?" Adil asked.

"I am fine. You didn't come all the way to the USA, to ask me how I am," I told him.

"No Ahmed I did not all the way here for you. I came because our ship — The Royal Navy Of Oman made a stop here. I thought why not visit my cousin."

"I am busy as you can see," I spoke, while signing some papers.

"Seriously wld em [cousin]?"

"Okay how about at night we go out for dinner," I suggested.

"No I am tired eating from restaurants. I miss home made food," he said, and got up.

"Okay sure, come by home at night."

"Bye Ahmed," Adil said and walked out of my office.

Layla
One week after Layla's Mum died.

"Hudaa I am okay. You don't have to call me after every hour," I said.

"I know but I am just checking up on you, I am worried. You didn't cry during the funeral," she spoke, trying to reason out that I am not okay. But obviously I am not okay, I just lost my mother.

"It's okay some people don't cry," I told her.

"It's not normal Layla. Crying is letting out all your sadness your heart carries," She said.

"Okay I understand. I have to go now Imad is calling me."

"You can  ask your boss for a leave. Even a so called monster would understand grief."

"I am fine Hudaa. We'll talk later."

"Okay, so you'll come by my place for dinner. Walid isn't home, he'll be staying at the hospital. He has a surgery. I am making your favorite — lasagna," she spoke in a excited tone.

"Okay Insha allah [If God wills]," I said and hang up. I love her but sometimes she can be annoying. It's 6:00 o'clock and Imad should be done with his homework, by now. I went to his room and he was playing with his iPad.

"Imad habibi, you know your supposed to be doing your home work," I told him.

"I have already done it," he said.

"Really? Without any help?"

"Yes, it was really easy," he spoke, still playing his game.

"Okay, if you say so. But let me just check the work once," I said.

"Okay. My book is on the table," he said. Imad was sad, when I came back to the mansion after two days. He didn't know what happened, so I had to explain to him. He kissed me on the cheek and told me not cry, because my parents were now with God. His words made me smile.

"Imad you got them all right, Mashallah. Dinner will be ready in a while," I told him.

"Okay," he replied. I went back down stairs and I noticed Jane making pastries. I asked her why she was making so much food, she said Mr Ahmed had called last minute and said there was a guest coming home for dinner. Ya Allah... how much food will she make? I started to help her. She was making rice, curry, chicken and some baked potatoes. Oh and she has to make dessert too. I offered on making cinnamon rolls. I started helping her making the curry after that I started mixing the ingredients for the cinnamon rolls.