Chapter Twenty Four

"Good morning Mr and Mrs Ahmed Damari. My name is Janet, I work for the government. Don't be alarmed, my job is to find out the truth that is all," she spoke, a lady, probably in her late thirties. Mr Ahmed is holding my hand, our fingers interlocked and at a point I was so sure that he could hear my heartbeats. Janet sat across us, she looked very serious.
"Mrs Ahmed." I avert my attention to her, and smile. I don't know when I will get used to that.

"Yes," I reply.

"Do you mind if I ask you some questions?" She asked.

"No I do not mind." I look at Ahmed and breath in and out to calm myself.

"How long have you known Ahmed for?" She asked.

"For three years," I answer. She opens a file and starts reading it.

"Says here you have been working for him, taking care of his nephew. Your green card got denied when you applied for it this year because a restraining order was permitted to you by Ahmed himself. The day you were to be deported, you decide to get married to your boss who is an American citizen. Layla you are aware that a fraud marriage for the sake of getting a green card is a felony and you can get jail time for life. That goes for you too Ahmed." I didn't shift my gaze, I listened attentively, unknowingly squeezing Mr Ahmed's hand. Until he whispered in my ear to breathe. I needed a moment to find the right words and to get my myself together.

"Yes I have been working for him for three years, taking care of this wonderful sweet little boy. His nephew, Imad. My green card did get denied because Ahmed issued a restraining order against me... Janet can I be honest with you?"

"That is necessary, so yes."

"Ahmed has always been there for me. I don't know how to explain this relationship we have. At first he seemed though he did not care, but Ahmed was there to comfort me when my father died and also after my mothers death. Ahmed is a business man meaning he is always busy with something, but he would always have time for his nephew Imad. And to be honest I was scared of my feelings for him at first and so I quit my job, because it seemed unprofessional. Something you should know about my husband." I look at Mr Ahmed and smile. "He has a temper but he means well. That is why he issued a restraining order, his anger controlled his actions."

"It wasn't easy convincing her to marry me. But she agreed, after questioning me almost every day whether I truly loved her or it was simply infectuation. Obviously my love for her is as real as it can get. It's just her eyes, there's something about them that drew me to her every single time I look at them." Mr Ahmed spoke and looked at me. My cheeks already flush and my heartbeat escalating. "She's the love of my life." My heart skipped a beat. I tried to remind myself that it was an act, but I swear looking into his eyes and the way he said it, my heart almost believed in a lie. Almost.

"So there's no wedding photos?" Janet asked.

"We decided to make it official first and have a proper wedding in Dubai with the rest of my family," He answered casually.

"You make a beautiful couple. But there's something that just doesn't feel right. Who takes care of Imad now? I mean it would only make sense for someone else to take care of him since Layla now is married to you," she spoke.

"Yes, Alice takes care him. She's great, but she took a sick leave," Mr Ahmed replied.

"I have heard enough for today." She stands up. "But I will be back in two months — that will probably be our last meeting and also when I will divulge my final report." Ahmed and I both stand and shake her hand. The moment she left the mansion, I could now breath properly.

"We need to have pictures of us framed and go on dates as regularly as possible," He said in a low tone.

"What did you mean by having a proper wedding in Dubai? I don't think I can do this Ahmed. I lied and I know for a fact my parents would be disappointed in me. Speaking the truth has always been my principle in my life."

"Layla we have to make this marriage look real. You think I enjoy this, I have a lot of work to do. But here I am sacrificing and putting much effort in this marriage that I don't want to be in. I need you to meet me half way, I can't be doing everything. And now I have to hire back Alice," he speaks in a modulating tone.

"I am not letting her anywhere near Imad," I tell him. "And as for the marriage I have already met you half way. The only thing that is left is communication and trust."

"We don't have a choice, the story needs to be put into play. Besides you will also be there when she's taking care of him and observe her. I have a lot of work to do, we will discuss more over dinner tomorrow," he said and walks away.

***
Thanks for reading.❤️
(Sorry for the late update.)