Chapter Seventeen

I am reading the Quran to Madam Samia — it's been two days, her nurse still has not returned. I have took it upon myself to look after her. During these two days, I have noticed Madam Samia becoming weaker, not just because she doesn't eat much, it's also because she doesn't talk a lot. She doesn't talk about her children or the memories she remembers, it's almost like she's giving up. Madam Samia can't remember anymore.

When I finished reading some verses from the Quran, I watched her as stared at the floor clenching on the arms of the chair. "What's wrong?" I asked her.

"Min 'ant? madha tafeal fi gharfati? akhrij! 'ana la 'aerifuk!," she yelled in Arabic.
[ Who are you? What are you doing in my room? Get out! I don't know you!] Could the medicine be having no effect now. It's worsened. I look at Madam Samia and all I see is pain and confusion. I wonder how I can help her, though I am no medical expert. I walk out of the room, hopping she calms down one way or another. She's never been so loud and this difficult. I just pray that she gets better.

Mr Ahmed

There's so much on my mind so much things I don't want to think about, I need a cigarette. I started smoking, it wasn't long before I puffed 3 more cigarettes. I am going back home today, back to California. The receptionist walked in my office holding a file. "Sir this is the remaining documents that need to be approved by you, about the financial aid," she said and put the file on my table.

"Thank you Katherine," I said. She stood for a while and stared at me in awe.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing sir, it's just that you have never said thank you or call me by my name. I wasn't sure you even knew my name until today," she explained.

"You may leave now," I told her and started reading the documents. What has gotten into me. I don't know why I thanked her, it's her job. Layla always apologizes for trivia moments, it's stupid if you ask me. Why is she so ingenuous? I hate how she always thinks she's right, her and her morals. Some angel she is. Why am I even thinking about her.

Layla

I went to the garden and sat down on the grass, I took out the ring from jean's pocket. I always carry it with me, thinking mostly fantasizing about my future. You'd be surprised how many times my heart has said yes. I told Hudaa about the ring and what Adil said, she was extremely happy for me. Though I haven't told anyone my decision. I thought it would be best if Adil is the first one to know. I tried on the ring and looked at it, how perfectly it fit my finger. My mother would be so happy if she knew, she would have made me my favorite foods and made a prayer for me.

I removed the ring from my finger and put it back in my pocket. I stood up and went back inside, towards the kitchen to get a glass of water. That's when I heard scream, it sounds like Madam Samia.

I rushed upstairs and opened the the door to her room. Madam Samia was kneeling on the floor holding a picture, tears streaming down her cheeks, as I go closer to her I get a glimpse of the picture. It looks like Madam Samia, but much younger, standing next to a man. I am assuming it's her late husband. I try to make her stand up, she was shacking barely able to make it to her bed. "Do you know who that man is?" I asked her, trying to engage in a conversation maybe she will let me in and then maybe I can try to comfort her.

"It's m-y my husband," she replied, stammering. "He is de-dead."

"Yes he died a long time ago," I told her.

"No he died yesterday," she spoke. "Where is Ahmed? Has he been fed?"

"Ahmed is not at home, he went away on a business trip. He is grown up now," I explained, while I held her hand.

"Are you his wife? Who are you?"

"I am Layla. I am not Ahmed's wife I work for him," I try to explain, but I don't think it would change her thoughts.

"Okay..." she said and laid down on her bed. "Ahmed is a good person. He's my son I raised him, I know him. He would never hurt you," she said, before she fall asleep. I wish her accusation on Mr Ahmed were true, a good person? Though he isn't the worst, I don't know how to describe him. After Madam Samia  fall asleep, I went back downstairs, and started preparing for dinner. Jane took a leave, she's isn't feeling well.

***
Thanks for reading.❤️