Chapter Thirty Two

A few minutes after breakfast, Imad wanted to go for swimming in the pool. Ahmed stayed back at the villa, he said he had some work to do.

I laid on the sun bed, soaking up the sun. I stared at the cloudless blue sky, and at the corner of my eye palm leaves mute in the summer air. "Layla look at me!" Imad yelled. I watched him jump in the pool and swim a freestyle stroke.

"That's amazing," I yelled back. Everything was peaceful and quiet, they weren't many people around. As hard as I tried to not worry, my efforts failed just when I started to think about Adil or the actuality of my life. That I am married to Ahmed and we are in Dubai, to have a wedding. The thing is, no matter how many times I repeat the scenario in my head — me walking down an aisle, in a beautiful most probably a puffy ball gown holding a bouquet of fresh flowers. In front of all Ahmed's family. I just can't believe in it, three months ago if anyone had told me I was going to get marry Ahmed. I would have laughed in their faces and give them a thousands reasons why it would never happen and why I would never agree.

Yet here we are, in Dubai, with my ex-boss who is now my husband. I can't tell whether this is going to be a lesson or it's simply a blessing... or could it be both?

After Imad got tired of swimming, which was after thirty minutes. We went back to the villa. Imad went straight to the bathroom in his room, to have a shower. As for me I decided to rest in the living room. I decided to text Hudaa.

Me: Hey
I held my phone, looking at the screen. Hoping that she replies, even though there's a time difference now.

Hudaa: Hi Layla.
How are you?
Loved the pictures you sent me of the hotel.

Me: I am okay, just freaking out.

Hudaa: Well it's normal for the bride to be anxious. In any other case, you would have someone there to keep you on track and calm you when you are feeling overwhelmed or overthinking.
Since I am not there. I can text Ahmed, and he can do that on behalf of your best friend. I am sure he knows his wife more than anyone. 😏

Me: Don't you dare Hudaa.
Honestly I just wish you were here.

Hudaa: I wish I was there too. Is talking to your husband that bad?

Me: He's not actually my husband, just a man I am legally married too.

Hudaa: That makes him your what? Your brother? 😒
He's your husband, whether you like it or not and your his wife. Now act like it.

Me: Well my 'husband' is being distant today, and I feel kind of alone here. It feels like the only person I can talk to is Imad, he's just six years old.

Hudaa: Well you could always flatter him into speaking to you.

Me: You want me to flirt with him?
You aren't very good at giving advice.

Hudaa: Flatter not flirt. They are somehow alike, either one could work. Just approach him in a fun, loving manner and not in an overly concerned motherly way.

Me: Loving? 🙂

Hudaa: You know what I mean.

Me: This isn't one of those conventional marriages.

Hudaa: You did agree to marry him. After all, soulmates always end up together.