Chapter Three

"You can't go in there...she'll see you some other time... Miss Ahmed is very busy," I hear the frantic and faint voice of my assistant, followed by a great whooshing sound as the door opened. Standing by the door is Jamal, Aunty Hudaa's son. Surprised by his presence, I stare at him - my lips slightly parted. I haven't seen him in a long time. He's changed. I can't even recall the last time I saw him. "I am so sorry Miss Ahmed. I tried to stop him," My assistant's voice fades in the background as Jamal and I lock gazes, "I'll call security," My assistant said.

"No there's no need," I reply hastily and look at her. "He's family," I tell her. I get up from my seat and stood positioned behind the table.

"What are you doing here Jamal?" I asked. I watched him walk over towards the chair and sit.

"While I was on my way here I actually thought you'd be happy to see me. But I see I was wrong," He spoke in a pretentious tone.

"I apologize for my directness, I am just..."

"No need to explain yourself Amal. You are entitled to your curiosity in this case. I know showing up here unannounced isn't very gentlemanly of me or very professional, if my mother were ever find out, I would probably end up getting a lecture from her and my dad," He cut me off and spoke. I smiled and giggled shyly.

"You still haven't stated why you're here," I remind him.

"Uh yes of course, I am here on behalf of my company, Winstor. I am the new CFO," He explained. "I believe one of our representative had met with you and set a date for a meeting about investing."

"Yes I remember," I replied. "And congratulations."

"Thank you Amal."

"That meeting was two days ago and when no one showed up and there was no follow up, I assumed the company was no longer interested. We did try to reach out," I said. I sat back down on my seat.

"I apologize for that. Well you see there was a miss-communication about the meeting, it was an honest mistake. Once they realized, they sent me personally to clear things out. The company is keen on this investment," He spoke.

"I see."

"I am hoping for you to reconsider another meeting. If that's possible," He said and looked at me.

"I will let my people get back to yours. I'll ensure that another date is set," I assured him.

"Thank you, I appreciate it. And is it possible for a lunch with the hotel manager?" He spoke hopefully.

"It depends solely on the objective of the lunch," I said.

"To catch up on each other's lives."

"Well I'll have to get back to you. My assistant was not lying when she said I am busy."

"I am sure you are, but I am afraid I don't have the luxury of time. I am only in Dubai for a few days," He said.

"Okay then."

"How does Saturday sound?" He suggested.

"That's okay for me," I replied.

"I look forward for to it then. Here's my card," He said and handed me his card. I gave him mine as well, and Jamal looked at me and smiled.

"I will text you the location."

"Sure. Um next time please do make an appointment," I said and smirked.

"Where's the fun in that? But noted and thank you for your time. See you Amal," He said and walked out of my office. Jamal hasn't changed much, he still acts silly, I thought to my self and smiled.

I remember... It was four years ago at my mum's funeral when I last saw him, he had come to pick up his mother and I didn't really put him in mind, we passed each other without acknowledgement. But I wasn't really in my right mind and he seemed to understand that fact. We saw each other a lot over summer holidays when we were growing up and my mother was convinced Jamal had a crush on me, but I didn't believe her. I would always get mad whenever she mentioned it - never knowing the reason behind my anger. I suppose it was just my childish mindset. Flashes of Jamal's smile come in my mind, he does have like perfect teeth, I mean anyone would be at awe. Or maybe it's because he smiles genuinely, seeing that he smiled with his eyes - as well as having expressive and gentle eyes. He even looks more muscular, maybe when I meet him I'll ask if he works out as a conversation starter. I smiled to myself and shook my head disapprovingly, realizing how witless I sound.

As I was about to continue to work, I receive a text message. I look at my phone, I don't recognize the number. But from the content of the message, I figured who it is in moments. I saved the number and replied to the message.

Jamal: I think your assistant doesn't like me.

Me: What makes you say that?

Jamal: You answered.

Me: That was just to get me to reply your message?

Jamal: You are a busy woman.

Me: And you are an idle man.

Jamal: Idle to one busy to others.

Me: Interesting.

Jamal: Okay busy woman. I don't want to be the reason your work piles up.

Me: Later : )

I wonder what he meant by what he said, 'idle to one busy to others'. I crossed it out of my mind and started to work, I needed to get work done by the end of the day. I wasn't even half way done, but I was determined that I will finish on time.

When it reaches six o'clock I stop working and make my way to my residence - which is basically the penthouse of the hotel. The view is bound to be breathtaking and it is. I do not carry any work related stuff into my place. When I get into the penthouse the first thing I do is take a long hot shower and change into my pajamas. I pray and order for room service. After a warm and delicious meal, I put on a face mask and watch random videos on YouTube. If Rayana is free, I usually call her and we talk till I fall asleep, and in the morning I find a comprehensive message on how rude I am for falling asleep while she talks.

Rayana is a stylist, she has been hired by many famous people and she is good at what she does - she can transform anyone into looking like a royal or a mogul. Rayana even started her own YouTube channel that demonstrates the fashions dos and don'ts. She met her fiance at a charity event she had been invited to by one of her A-list client. From what she told me, they clicked the moment he bumped into her, Murat confessed later on that he bumped into her on purpose. They talked all night, about anything and everything, including in-depth topics, it was an endless conversation and instant attraction for them. They were the last people to leave the event. They were tangled in each other. And since that day Rayana and Murat have been inseparable. It's honestly my favorite love story, after my parent's that is.

When we were young my sister and I used to plan out our wedding. We even had a scrap book and everything. Hahah, once we froced Imad into wearing one of my father's suit and forced him into playing pretend with us - as the groom, we were really persuasive. As much as I wish to forget Imad, he's there in every memory of mine, always present. And sometimes he makes forgetting and remembering both painful and difficult.