4 | returning

Chapter 4: returning
Returning: verb; come or go back to a place or person
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
4. Returning

      "Sam Clarke, renowned war hero, she was serving on her third tour in Afghanistan when the tragic situation thrusted this soldier into the most difficult situation she would ever face. We have Private Blake Reed in the studio with us today, telling this remarkable story of heroism. Blake, tell us what happened?"

      "Well Matt, Sam saved my life. She ran into enemy fire, complete unarmed and vulnerable. She dragged me back out, but that's all I remember, I blacked out afterwards."

      "Where is Sam? Is she with you here today?"

      "No, I-"

      I shut off the tv and threw the remote out the open window in anger. Of course that bloody son of a bitch didn't remember, the things he's saying is what I told him, why is he going around and talking about me? Its infuriating.

      Dylan laughed as he looked out the window where the remote just flew out. He pointed at someone and yelled "Ha! Sucker!"

      He walked back and sat down in my desk chair. "That guy is passed out on the ground because the remote hit his head!"

      I didn't laugh, this situation was frustrating. "How did he even get on the Today Show anyway?" I asked myself out loud.

      "They called him, he's quit popular now."

      I screamed into my pillow and threw the pillow out the window, it flying in the same trajectory as the tv remote. Dylan started to laugh even harder, looking at me as if I was the funniest person in the world.

      "You," he said pointing at me. "Should be a comedian."

      I cracked a smile at that one.

      I climbed down from my bed and sat in Anna's desk chair to be level with Dylan. "So how's college going for ya?" I asked, changing the conversation.

      "It's fine."

      "Just fine?"

      "Yup. Nothing grand, nothing boring. It's just Meh."

      I nodded in agreement, it truly wasn't exciting at all. Just allot of drama.

      Anna came walking into the room carrying the pillow in one hand and the remote in another. She took a deep breath with her eyes closed and than looked right at me. "You, my friend need to stop throwing stuff out of the window, I would like to have one day where I don't find our stuff on the ground outside the building." She said in her usual calm voice, tossing me the items.

      I laughed and threw the pillow only my bed and the remote to Dylan so he could stop pouting, and watch the football game.

      I looked at my phone after Anna sat down on her bed and checked my e-mails and texts.

      Mom: hey honey, how are you?

      Cole: when are you going to be home?

      Clara: please tell me your still alive?

      Dustin: (I'm pretending to text you so Clara won't get mad at me)

      Blake: we need to talk.

      That last one stopped me dead in my tracks, I could feel my face pale at the mention of Blake. I needed to talk to him, and to sort out the shit in our lives, but why now?

      I had way to many questions, and I didn't have the answers, only Blake did.

      God Damnit, I needed to see him to get him off my mind.

      To Blake: me: I agree, you know where to meet me

      Blake: I'll see you tomorrow then.

      Ok, I just dug myself a hole, and willingly jumped into it, I needed to get on a plane pronto if I wanted to make this meeting.

      I looked up at Anna and Dustin watching the game and smiled at my friends. "Does anyone want to skip school tomorrow? We're going to my good 'ole home."

       Anna jumped at the opportunity to skip school and yelled a quick yes before running around starting to pack, Dylan just sat in shock. "Your going home today? Why?"

      "Yea, I need to deal with some problems. Do you want to come?"

      He shook his head. "I have football practice, can't miss it."

      I shrugged and started to pack the necessities, charger, food, and my phone.

      I used my military card to my advantage and wore my field uniform without the jacket and my dog tags around my neck, to get through the lines faster at the airport.

      What? It works, don't judge.

      After booking our tickets on the closest flight available, Anna and I rushed to the airport.

      The lines at the baggage claim and security checks where impossibly long at LAX international airport. After we had gotten through all the check points, including the long chat Anna had with an officer about how scissors should be aloud on planes, we ran as quick as we could to the gate.

      Gate H7 was boarding and only had a handful of people left in line, handing the lady their tickets. I rushed in and gave her a grateful smile as we entered the plane.

      Home sweet home, here we come.

▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note: in 4 hours we reached 200 reads! Now that's insane!
🤔Question: what's your dream vacation?--->
Comment•Vote•Share