26 | choices

(Recommend listening to this song ^^ while reading this chapter 🙃)
Chapter 26: choices
Choices: noun; an act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities.
▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
26. Choices

      "I just want to sleep." Blake groaned as we exited the taxi that had taken us home from the airport.

      I hummed in agreement as we walked into our dorm building with Dylan carrying a sleeping Anna behind us in his arms. Smiling at them I gave Dylan my key to our room and I went in the direction of Blake's dorm room.

      He unlocked it and I laughed as he struggled to get the jammed door open in frustration. Finally getting it open we practically crawled into his bed and I curled into his outstretched arms.

     There's nothing better than feeling safe in your partners arms. A content sigh left my lips and Blake pulled me closer to him as he dozed off.

      Sleep wouldn't welcome me as I remembered the call I had received when we where on the plane, and the one from the doctor in New York.

      "You'll be getting your surgery on Monday..."

      "We would love to have you back Sam.."

      I closed my eyes as my headache grew worse, I couldn't do that to my friends again, but than again Anna had Dylan, Clara had Dustin and it's possible Blake would come with me.

      Would he come with me? I'm pretty sure he only came the first time because he wanted to follow me to the other side of the world.

      Stirring, Blake got up all of a sudden and rested up against the headboard and pulled me up with him.

      "Clarke, your not very good at hiding your emotions." He mumbled as he wiped the sleepiness away from his eyes.

       I looked down at the end of the bed, gosh he knows me so well. "It's nothing, really." I said sounding the farthest from convincing.

      Interlocking our hands he squeezed my hand and lifted my face so I would face him. "Tell me, we should keep this relationship honest this time." He said with a faint grin.

      Agreeing I nodded and started from the beginning. "The doctor called me the other day and said I had to get a surgery, which could affect the other thing I'm worrying about."

      "The surgery is safe, you don't need to worry about that." Blake said reassuringly.

      I shut my eyes and shook my head. "That's not what I'm worried about, it's what it could change."

      Looking at me worriedly I decided to just rip of the bandaid. "General Thomas called and asked if I would lead another tour and the surgery would tell me if I'm fit or not to go."

      Letting go of my hand he got up and started to pace the room, running his hands through his hair. "Are you really going to do it? You have everything you need here." He said stopping to look at me. "Right?"

      I stood up and hugged him, pulling him close to me and snuggling my head into his chest. "Of course I do." I mumbled.

      "But?"

      Pulling away I felt tears prick my eyes. "The reason I need to be there is the reason I should keep going back."

      He looked defeated when I mindlessly told him that I made up my mind. "And what is that reason? Because you don't feel accepted here?! You are! You are so loved and no one wants to see you...you.."

      Death was one word that everyone was scared of, but was ultimately forced upon in the military that Blake couldn't muster up enough courage to talk about. There is always a possibility that I could die, and that wasn't the scary part.

     The scary part was leaving Blake behind.

     He shook his head, his bed head hair plastered to his forehead. "No. I won't leave you this time. Your going to lie to me to make me feel like it's all your fault like last time when it isn't."

      He finished his sentence and looked back up at me with tears rushing down his face. I lunged towards him and wiped his tears away with my thumb. "I...I need to tell you something."

      He furrowed his brows but sat down next to me on the bed and I grabbed his hand, the memories flushing back to me in a hurry.

      "It was as if it where yesterday. Cole and I happened to be shipped out on our first tour together to Israel traveling to Kuwait on border checks, an easy job." I started.

      "Safer than other soldiers being shipped to Afghanistan and troubled bloody-spring rival areas through northern Africa and the Middle East."

     "We got lucky."

      "Our dad was walking besides us when we saw a brawl break out between a police officer and a young man who looked to be in his mid-twenties."

      "My first instinct was to rush over and break them up so when I got there I realized that the police officer had been stabbed and the man had a bomb strapped to him underneath his shirt."

      "Scrambling I didn't know what to do until my dad rushed over and disarmed the man but not fast enough-the bomb went off and Cole pushed me over just in time to save me from any fatal injuries."

      "My dad in the other hand, wasn't pushed out in time. The bomb-mans friends rushed over and pulled a gun on my dad."

      "His weapon was in the truck."

      "Shooting began and since it was only us and no other companies doing checks until dawn the next day we where stuck."

      "We soon found out that it was the Taliban-they where only supposed to pass by the town but only stopped when they saw our uniforms."

      "It was all my fault that the Taliban kidnapped my dad, knocking him unconscious right in front of me and dragging him away as Cole and I rushed to find shelter amongst the chaos."

      "You don't know how hard it is to see your dad being helpless in the arms of killers."

      It was only when I took a breather when I realized I was crying hard, the tears rolling down my cheeks in gallons as Blake patiently listened.

      "Blake.." I said.

      "Mhm, Yes?" He said at my sudden mention of his name.

      "The worst part is, I saw him one month ago."

▬▬▬▬۩▬▬▬▬
Note:
🤔Question: where do you see yourself in 10 years?
——>
Comment•Vote•Share