Chapter 9

After Phyrra had rejected you, you had started to spar more in combat, as well as train much harder than before. You told people it was for the Vytal Festival, or said something about how it was to improve your grade. Team JNPR knew what was actually wrong, but to their credit didn't ask you about it, and gave you space.

You watched in class with amusement as Phyrra dispatched Team CRDL with relative ease. Glynda asks who else wants to fight, and as always you raise your hand. She comments how you've been rather aggressive of late. You give some cheap excuse, which she clearly doesn't buy. Wanting to avoid causing a scene, she lets it go.

Mercury challenges Phyrra, but forfeits early into the match. Glynda rolls her eyes, and tells him to be smarter when choosing opponents in the future. Since the match ended so quickly, she decides that there's time for one more match.

Emerald challenges you, and you gladly accept. The two of you head to the center of the room, and stand across from each other. She swings her weapon around, as if to intimidate you. You crack your knuckles and lighting flies from them.

Glynda calls the match, and instantly, Emerald is in motion. She throws her chain towards you, and wraps it around your wrist. Before she has a chance to follow up on the attack, you sent a current of electricity through the chain, which shocks her.

She cries out in pain. Before she can let go, you drag her by the chain closer to you. When she's right in front of you, you leap into the air, and surround your foot with electricity and smash it into her head. " Lightning Dragon Talon!"

Stepping off of her, you watch as she struggles to rise. She manages to charge you again, and is a blur of motion. You can't tell where she is at all. Closing your eyes, you let out a deep breath. The second you feel something cold come into contact with you, you send out electricity from your entire body, and you hear the sound of Emerald crying out and dropping to the ground.

You open your eyes, and Glynda ends the match, since the aura of Emerald has fallen into the red-zone. She congratulates you on your win before she dismisses the class. With the rest of JNPR, you leave to head back to the dorms.

- With Cinder, Emerald, and Mercury ( Cinder's Pov)-

I listen as Mercury and Emerald discuss Phyrra and how she fights. When they finish explaining her abilities, Mercury chimes in. " There was someone else in that class who you might wanna add to the plan. (y/n) Dreyar. He kicked the crap out of Emerald today."

Raising an eyebrow, I look at Emerald. She sheepishly looks down and seems embarrassed. " It's true ma'am. I couldn't even manage to land a single hit on him. He's just that good."

" Interesting. How does he fight? I know he's the one who uses electricity, but if he could beat you, then he's going to be a problem," I muse to myself.

" From a distance, he looks like he fights using power only," Mercury says. " But I can tell he didn't go all out against Emerald. I know from watching him on other days that he's actually a very skilled fighter. It's just that his power is enough to carry him through most fights."

" I see. Emerald, do you have anything you would like to add?"

" He's all instinct," she states. " There isn't any hesitation with him whatsoever. He just acts. That's not to say he's stupid. Just that combat seems to be hardwired into who he is."

" Did he show any weakness we could exploit? Not just in the fight, but outside of it as well. Anything we can use to get an upper hand on him? If he's as good as you say, we need everything we can."

The two of them think about it, before Mercury snaps his fingers. " The girl I fought....Phyrra Nikos. Something happened between them, I can tell. He avoids her gaze and even when he's with that team, he looks like he's been cornered."

" Yeah. As far as I can tell, he has feelings for her, but she likes that wimpy blonde boy who's on the team. It's clearly hurting him," adds Emerald. " I'd kinda feel bad if it weren't for the fact that he's going to be dead when we're finished anyways."

- Your Pov

With the rest of Team JNPR, you walk back to the dorm, and let out a sigh. Before you go inside, Glynda opens the door to Team RWBY and steps outside.

" (y/n), can I talk to you about something?"