CHAPTER XXIV

– E M P E R O R   X A V I E R –

The fusion craft landed on the rooftop of my tower.

At this height the wind was a force to be reckoned with. My usually flawless hair was now whipping around my head like wild fire. But I had been stood here for 5 minutes now. I did not accept those that waste my time.

He dropped out of the fusion craft a few feet before it landed. His dirty boots hit the metal roof in a crouch. I resisted the biting words I wanted to utter.

"It would seem that we have a problem your excellency!" He shouted over the wind.

His heavy black hood stayed fixed over his face as if it were part of him and his tattooed arms were fully on show due to the military jacket that was cut at the sleeves. My guards were at his sides in a moment and had him disarmed in less time. He watched them cooly as they took a tri-bladed dagger from his boot.

Without so much as thinking twice, I strode up to my guard, snatched the dagger that seemed to hold his attention, and tossed it over the edge of the roof.

His eyes watched mine the entire time--giving nothing away.

"Not only have you pathetically failed in your task--" his fist twitched, "--you and your abysmal group of bottom feeders have also managed to start a war with an even lower class of scum in this city." I snarled at him.

"Playing the part of a revolutionary and assassin is a fine balance!" He shot back.

"Playing the part of an incompetent moron however, seems to be mastered!" I roared.

"Perhaps if you kept better hold of your--"

"Continue that sentence and it will be your last!" I shouted. "It was simple! Even for a buffoon such as yourself you could have ended her in moments!"

He paused and readjusted his hideous excuse for clothing. When his purple eyes drew back up to mine they held more composure. I however, held no such emotion.

I grabbed his chin and forced his face down. "I will play games with savages no longer. Force does not work, shootings, fire... this is what they do. I cannot believe I have resorted to the same tragic tactics of Division 52." I spat the last word like a curse and threw him backwards. "This Scorpion believes that she holds power." A humourless laugh escaped me. "I will give you and your men the weapons you desired originally. You will possess numbers and force to take the Underworld back."

He looked at me in shock, but then a dangerous smile appeared on his brutally inked and pierced face. That was the look of ambition. I'd seen it many a time.

"And your terms?" He asked barely loud enough over the raging winds.

"My terms remain. You will use these new assets to destroy a thorn in my side that should never have existed." I growled. "Fail a second time and you will lose much more than your pride. I will guarantee that."

He nodded curtly. "Consider Makayla Xavier dead."

I smiled, shaking my head slowly.

"Hades..." I mused. "Of all the fictional gods, I found him the most believable. The power to govern death and the god that held balance in the world."

His purple eyes seemed to flicker. "The symmetry is agreeable."

"We shall see." I calmed the lapels of my suit before looking back up at the killer. "Go now." I dismissed with a smile, as if we had discussed nothing more than the colour of the sky. "You will contact me when it is done. The weapons will arrive by the end of the week."

He nodded carefully and drew his hood lower. "I will make preparations until then."

My guards equipped him with his weapons again before levelling their own fusion rifles at his head to watch him go. His black cloak whipped behind him as he jumped into the craft. The engines exploded into life and sent the assassin back to Sector 45 to complete his final mission.

– S C O R P I O N –

"You must eat at some point." Proximo murmured.

"Is she awake?" I demanded, knowing full well she was not.

"Not yet but--"

"Then something as inconsequential as food can wait." I stated. I continued typing into my holo-pad, searching the screens, cameras and comm links for any evidence of danger. Anything that was a threat.

Proximo sighed.

"Hades has not been seen in days. I suspect he has crawled back into whatever hole he came from and licks his wounds."

"Hmm" I murmured, only half paying attention. 

In the top left corner, I watched Makayla lying in the medical facility of my home. Every now and then one of my staff members would check her and I would be entirely focused on that. Every minute, my mind drifted back to that moment in the room. When her eyes finally found mine in the chaos, time had slowed and I saw the faint smile touch her perfect lips... saw the light I fell for return to her blue eyes... then I was back in the ballroom of the great glass tower in Sector 1 and she was in my arms with a silver mask over her eyes. We spun in circles and danced to our own melody, everyone around us didn't even exist. 

I sometimes wondered how different it would have been if I had just been... normal. If I had instead been one of those Lady's of such and such or royalty that night. I could dance with her  without the threat of danger hanging over our heads... could ask her to dinner, just kill time in the city doing--

"Well, seeing as we executed every rebel in that hideout there doesn't seem to be a high chance they can respond." Proximo deadpanned.

I almost laughed out loud. My own ridiculousness astonished me. Because despite the security and safety that pretend life would provide... I would hate every second of it just as Makayla does.

I tossed the holo-screen away and crossed my legs over the arm of my throne. I watched Proximo. He watched me back. I bounced a leg impatiently and his eyes flicked down to it, then back up to mine. He smiled slowly.

"Terrible idea." 

"I didn't say anything." I said innocently.

"You forget I know you better than you know yourself."

I lost my smile.

"Is that a fact."

He placed his hands carefully behind him. 

"52. Your favourite year of whiskey." I roll my eyes. "Four. Your age when your first kill was made with a broken mirror." I shrug. "51-22-76. The coordinates of your original home." I stilled. "Five. The number of times you have saved Makayla Xavier's life." 

I sat up. "Enough."

"One." He stated. He watched me closely, dark steel eyes churning. "The only time you have--"

"Scorpion!" A voice shouted from down the great hall.

I remained glaring at Proximo. Because I knew what those dangerous, impossible last words were. I wasn't even surprised, simply enraged at him and myself. So, I quickly flung myself out of my throne and strode down the steps to meet one of my guards.

"She's awake." He stated.

Those were the only words I needed hear. A breath left me and I walked as calmly as I could in the direction of the medical wing.