CHAPTER XLV

– S C O R P I O N –

"We are now at stage 2 of recon!" I announced to the modest sized tech room in our temporary accommodation.

Within these walls were our most lethal, and our most closely trusted within Division 52. A purpose built hit team from my personal guard, assassins and scouts. No more than a dozen. All cross-checked by Proximo for this exact purpose. Each had a very specific skill set and would not hesitate to get the job done.

"It's fairly simple, ladies. We have two teams divided into two fusion Falcon carriers. This is a high altitude, low opening jump so all of you in this room are familiar."

I didn't miss Makayla cross her legs over twice in discomfort as she watched me do what I did best from a lounge chair behind. The men and women in the room either nodded or smirked in anticipation. As expected, they were keen to be put to use after our long dormant state of passive watching.

"We have exactly six drop sites where we need eyes on–" I gestured to the floor sized hologram that we circled around in the darkened room. The pale blue glow painting each one of their focused faces. "–air artillery and radar in Sector 1 to 5 will be knocked out at precisely 4 AM. There is no margin for error here, the reboot will be within minutes. This means we are out of those Falcons the moment our inside tech takes out the lights."

Nods dropped quickly around the room, among expressions of calculation and excitement.

"I need not ask the room if you have doubts to step out, because I already know each of you has a personal history with our esteemed Emperor of Merridian." Proximo pitched in a low, loud voice.

I chuckled at that. As did many surrounding the holo.

I then swept a hand across the pad on my forearm, changing the display until it morphed into six high peaked sky towers. They were shimmering shards above the cloud line.

"These are our targets." The faces in the room drew nearer and some dropped to a knee to analyse and distinguish the familiar buildings of Sector 1's skyline. "Six sky towers. All hooked up to Merridian's satellite network, and so I have been told... their greatest offence and defence."

Murmurs filled the air suddenly loud and debating fact verses fiction.

"That's enough." Proximo rumbled, stilling the air. He dropped a nod in my direction. I mimicked the move.

"The rumours are true. The Emperor has weaponry from satellites. We haven't seen these in action and we do not care to find out. That is why we have no room for error on this. We deploy evenly to all six locations and fit a jammer beacon in each. These have been tailored–" I swept a finger across my arm and a compact box of metal and silicon cylinders took the floor. "Each jammer will mimic Sector 1's weaponry protocol before locking them out of the system the moment they are activated. Until we need them to–they will not be used. At that point it will be too late for the Emperor's final card." I continued, detailing the land points, the structures comms beacons where the jammers would be effective and the blind spots. When I concluded I took a breath and appraised the room.

Shocked silence seemed to grip the room for moments until voices were found again.

"It's bold." Kartuga, a hitman from years back pitched in first. He slicked back his dark black mullet before nodded with a savage grin. "Nothing short of insanity, I love it."

Proximo cleared his throat. "Some intelligence too..."

Maccenzie laughed a sharp sound. A quick scout and always had a keen eye for threats. Then she placed a hand over a gun holster on her hip. "That scrawny bastard has so much due his way... after the way he handled the conflicts. This should even the scoreboard."