CHAPTER LVII

– S C OR P I O N –

I wanted nothing more than to take her in my arms and flee. Run until we reached the edge of the city. But that was not how the story would end for either of us. Not as long as the Emperor–her father or not–sat on that throne and issued her death like a weekly holo-magazine. 

As I watched her stunning, sapphire eyes stare at me intently, I couldn't picture a Merridian without her. The city could crumble. I no longer saw an existence where we weren't side by side. I would risk anything to make that happen.

"What are you doing here, Alex..." She finally broke the silence. 

"Something bold. Dangerous. Mostly life and death so nothing new." I told her in a voice that was not my own. I held her eyes in a wrinkled brown that were not my own. For the most part, I didn't put much effort into my appearance outside of giving off a death incarnate vibe. But a wrinkled vegetable vibe for my reunion with the woman I loved was not something I craved either.

Makayla took a steady look once over her exposed shoulder on the enclosed balcony before weaving her fingers between mine and hanging them over the edge.

"I want nothing more than you, Alex. But my father wants nothing more than your end–"

"Makayla, it was not just me on that hit list." I emphasised, reminding her of the play Hades had originally had in all of this.

She shook her head. "If it means keeping you out of the crosshairs, fine." She urged, darting her eyes between mine. "Our worlds cannot keep colliding like this."

"Not fine. Never again. We are getting you out. Tonight. Screw both worlds." I finished, tightening my grip on her hand.

"We? Damn it, not the waiters again..." She almost growled, fighting her anxiety at the usual insanity.

I winked at her and shook my head. "A very select and lethal group. Proximo is... rather enjoying his look tonight. I cannot wait for you to be introduced."

She now frowned and pulled her hand from mine. "This is not a game, Alex. The people in that room run the continents–their reach goes past this city. You can't expect me to just stand by and watch as you and your closest people lay down their lives–"

Maybe it was the way she rambled with such exposed passion. Maybe it was my colour suiting her perfectly in that long, low set dress with flowing gold in her hair–it could have been the time apart or just the damn madness of it all–but I dropped the face holo from inside my jaw, pushed a hand through her hair and kissed her hard.

Her words entirely cut off and her body froze.

It was like the first time in many ways but there was history to us. Understanding. And more need than either of us needed to think too closely about. Her light against my dark. We always seemed to burn like roman candles from both ends. Nothing truly great ever smouldered... it was bright, painful and alive. She was that flame.

She reacted on instincts and I felt her hands find the back of my neck and secure me to her more closely. I felt the wash of silk press against me and inhaled the scent of her like the finest perfume. I almost forgot where we were. Who we were. It didn't matter now–in the present.

The softness of her thick lower lip hit me like an electrical surge. Then I felt her lips leave me and those perfect blue eyes hold mine just inches away.

"I missed you too damn much–don't ever throw me from a Falcon again." She snapped with death promised in her eyes.

I traced her jawline with a finger before answering. "I've missed you more than you will ever know, Makayla Xavier. I don't make mistakes twice." I told her darkly and watched heat grow on her cheeks.