CHAPTER LXI

"I promise you that the same stuff galaxies are made of, you are. The same energy that swings planets around stars makes electrons dance in your heart. It is in you, outside you, you are it. It is beautiful."

― Kamal Ravikant, Live Your Truth

– S C O R P I O N –

We had watched the sun hit the side of the earth and bathe us in light. It illuminated the water below in a bright and stunning blue. I didn't recall falling asleep with Makayla tucked in my arms, but I did remember waking...

My body floated aimlessly in the small cabin with no anchor to hold me down. She was still in my arms, her blonde hair was in loose golden waves and brushed against my skin. I moved us silently downward by pressing against the ceiling metal. When I carefully strapped her into the pilot chair I moved for a set of cabinets below a small cushioned bench set into the hull.

It was all a stark white. It slid open without a sound and I drew out various items. Thermal gloves, thick rubber boots with insulation, an oxygen pack, a shining silver helmet and visor that reminded me of Imperials–then I saw relatively normal items of clothing.

I pulled out a simple white t-shirt with a small crest of a Silver Sun and a rocket cutting through it. I smirked as I threw it over my head and carefully pulled my arms through. Makayla had worn my colours after all... it was time I showed the same ironic allegiance. I pulled out a simple pair of black cargo trousers and slipped on a versatile pair of running shoes from the bottom of the draw.

I stared down at the discarded, torn and burnt pencil skirt and debated sending it through the airlock.

Instead I left it in the cabinet and took out the same outfit for Makayla. They seemed to have a week's worth of spare. Perhaps staff normally boarded the shuttle. She had said two hours until we docked... I glanced at my wrist holo that still gave me Merridian standard time.

Best guess was that we'd been out for an hour minimum.

I moved over to where she dozed. Her head was cast to the side and she looked utterly peaceful as she slept. I brushed floating strands from her face and moved to crouch before her face. She stirred slightly before her blue eyes met mine.

Her answering smile made me want to hold onto her for the rest of the flight.

"We fell asleep." I told her softly. "But if you'll appreciate my new allegiance and job title of Silver Sun Station staff I'd be grateful."

She took me in a bit more closely before a giggle left her and her eyes stayed on the crest on my chest. "It suits you, Scorpion."

"Doesn't everything?"

She gave me a mocking look. Which I returned before dragging my eyes down her torn and bloodied dress. "Not that you still aren't a vision in red... I think you could do with these." I offered her the fresh set of clothes and she nodded.

"It was already too revealing but now it's hardly appropriate in front of staff." She uttered with a knowing look.

I tried my best innocent look and she turned her back to me.

"Unzip me?" She asked, pulling her hair to one side.

Adorable.

Instead of answering, I moved a hand in front of her until my fingers hit the knife sheath. I pulled it free swiftly and cut a line effortlessly up her back. It was entirely an accident that her bra was also a fatality.