3. Light That is Blinding Me

(7:15 PM)

     The two cars pull up to the abandoned lot, with all five faces gazing outside the windows. Will's hands clutched the Ouija board tight to his chest as Dan turned off the engine of his Toyota Corolla. Kyle's SUV parked right beside the lead singer's car, with the wheels screeching slightly as the BMW pulled to a stop. Charlie looked at Woody through his side of the window, both of them exchanging nervous glances as everyone got out of the cars. The dim sky gave everyone the creepy vibe, and the shadows played tricks on the men's eyes. Kyle already regretted agreeing to doing this challenge, and Charlie was questioning everybody's sanity.

     "Ghost-busting squad, where you at?" Dan joked.

     "Not here," Kyle muttered to Charlie, who was trying to hide his giggles.

     "This looks fucking creepy," Will whispered, clutching the board tighter. "How old is this house?"

     "I think at least two hundred years old," the South Londoner stroked his stubble. "But you guys don't believe that legend, right?" he looked over his torn side to see his band mates hesitantly following closely behind.

     "N-nah," Woody tried to prove himself worthy.

     "Then let's go!" Dan adventurously raised his arm.

     As planned, the four men left Charlie by the park cars, with Kyle's keys to the SUV in case shit went down inside the house. Dan led the guys through the uncut grass stalks, and there was no pathway for the four musicians to walk on as they treaded towards the haunted house. The sound of the planchette shaking inside the box was the only thing that could be heard, as well as the sounds of grass being stepped on. Cold wind blew against Woody's bare arms, causing him to shiver slightly as he took his long strides through the tall greens. The tattoo on Dan's skin itched, and he struggled to keep his hand from scratching the detailed designs on his face.

     "You guys hear that?" Kyle hushed everyone. The keys player thought he heard the sound of someone, or something, behind them.

     Winds wooed through the air as the band nervously looked at the haunted house in the short distance, the grass seemed worse and more dried as they approached the front porch. The yellow of the stalks bothered Dan slightly, and the dead grass that gathered just feet before the porch gave an unsettled feeling the others. Will gulped at the strange dark marks that covered the floor, and Dan's eyes widened with slight fear as he gazed on the grey substances that laid in piles on the dirt. To everyone, it seemed that something was burning around here, and the ashes blew around along with the weakly gusts and air. Now, the house stood before the four British men, with the black wood emitting a strange feeling.

     "You still have the board?" Dan glanced behind him.

     "Yep," Will looked down at the blue box.

     "I got the flash lights and head lights," Woody took off his backpack. "These are coloured lights," he took out the unopened package of head lights. "So who wants the red one?"

     "ME!" Dan raised his hand excitedly.

     "Is there a blue light in there?" Kyle asked.

     "Yeah. Red, green, blue, and purple," Woody read the package label.

     "Then I'll take purple," Will offered. "And Woody can have green since..." he looked the drummer up and down, "well, I think it's obvious why you should have the green light."

     "Green light?" Dan looked at Will, who nodding unsettlingly at the singer.

     "I'm waiting for it, that green light, I want it!" the thirty-one year old sang the New Zealander's hit song.

     "My fuck..." Kyle slapped his forehead. "Will we ever have a day without you referencing a song?"

     "Nope!" Dan laughed as he put the light around his head, carefully making sure that his skull and bones tattoos wouldn't get damaged. "How do you turn this thing on?" he fiddled around with the button on his head light.

     "Argh!" Kyle flinched. "Mate, turn it off!" his brown eyes tried to avoid looking into the red hue. "That fucking thing's so bright! It's blinding me!"

     "Oh! Got it!" Dan managed to shut off the device. "Sorry, Ky."

     "Just don't do that again," the keys player muttered.

     "And these are the flash lights that go with it," Woody handed the corresponding coloured flash lights to everyone, leaving himself with the green one

     "Well, let's go inside," Dan said. "I wanna explore the place before it gets dark."

     "Alright," the rest agreed. "Let's go."