12. Skulls and Bones

(10:17 PM)

"It feels...dry?" Dan scratched the itch that spread in his left face. "Is that normal?" He looked at Will.

     "Don't know," the bassist shrugged. "I just know that your burns will heal within," he peeked down at his cell phone, "Within thirty minutes."

     "And I got possessed?" The lead singer turned to his other two band mates for information.

     "Yep," Kyle's lips prominently smacked the p at the end. "Tell 'im Woody."

     "So we were sitting in our friendship circle talking about death and shit, when suddenly Will's arms and hands starting glowing blue, and his CSI tools started moving around on their own. Somehow, you ignore all that, and head off to the bathroom and even said something about burning."

     "And?"

     "You locked yourself inside and Will somehow knew how to pick a lock with a fucking hacker key, like a CSI man but sexier," Kyle widely grinned and finished off the explanation, much to Woody's displeasure.

"Thank you, Kyle." The drummer gritted through his clenched teeth.

     "So...you have an actual super power that can be used to have benefit?" Dan turned to his bassist friend.

     "Pretty much," the thirty-four year old nodded with a small smile. "I dunno how I'm gonna tell Awuoi about this..."

     "I don't really know how I'm going to tell my mum..." Kyle nervously laughed quietly. "You think she'll freak?"

     "Well, if you introduce it in a kindly matter, then no," the drummer shrugged. "But if you're gonna be all like 'oh hey, Mum, don't freak, but I got turned into a vampire by a demon', then she'll definitely lose it and probably disown you or report you as a freak. Then you'll probably be taken away to a government facility and get tested on and possibly-"

     "-Okay. That's enough," Dan abruptly covered his band mate's mouth, suddenly whipping his hand back in strange fright.

     "Dan?" Will stretched his arm out to poke the singer's left cheek. "What the...the fuck?" He flinched with disgust before inching backwards several metres from his band mate.

     "It's starting!" Dan cried. "W-what's happening?!" he saw his own left side glowing brightly with white. "D-don't t-tell me..."

     "You're becoming a half skeleton!" Kyle shrieked and scooted further from the glowing South Londoner.

     "My skin's disintegrating!" he clutched his own body, unable to reverse to, and had no idea what to the do to pause the transformation.

     "H-his eye's fucking gone!" Woody screamed and covered his eyes. "It's a fucking empty socket!"

     "Look at his shoulder!" Will gasped. "It's turned to bone!"

     Blinding white began to dim at Dan's feet as he collapsed with nothing to do. I'm helpless...He gripped his own bony wrist with darkened despair. His transformation was nearly complete. Particles of icy light moved up his body as each part left was now skeletal, the singer's left body was becoming nothing but bones, no blood, no muscle, just...bones. White bones. Dan growled in pain as he suddenly held his left chest, gasping for air as he laid on the rotting floor, feeling light headed. His band mates panicked and crowded around him with great concern, using their hands to try and block the white light from reaching the end of Dan's short quiff. But nothing worked, light was light, and it disappeared with a loud moan, leaving the unfortunate singer with a skeletal left body.

     "Nice try, guys," he hunched into a ball and sniffed back tears. "I'm a fucking monster." He uncovered his face to reveal the eyeless socket that laid on his left side, making his other eye stand out with a glistening ocean blue.

     "Damn, you actually look hot," Kyle joked, secretly implying the truth at the same time.

     "I'm not," he became teary eyed and stared at a blank spot on the floor. "I'm just half a skull and a pile of ugly bones."

     "No you're not," Woody placed a warm hand on Dan's skull. "You're a kind skeleton."

      The lead singer of Bastille stifled back a wave of relieved water from his one eye, letting the rest of the band come in for a group hug. Maybe it won't be as bad...he smiled to himself, a stray tear running down the left side of his face.