o n e

Her mother found the princess in the gardens, like most of the times. She smiled fondly at her, grooming the pink roses with a small smile on her lips. She slowly walked over to her, her eyes on the flowers her daughter is growing out of the green grass. "Sweetheart?" she asked softly, to not startle her, but the girl still jumped. "Oh, mother! Don't sneak up on me like that!" She cleaned her hands with the skirt of her dress, making it slightly muddy. Her mother looked at her disapprovingly, as she noticed the condition of her green dress. "That is not very orderly of you" she scolded. 

"I'm sorry mother, old habits die hard." The queen licked her lips absentmindedly, trying to remember what she came here to tell her. "Oh, yes! Your father and I have something very important to tell you" her mother announced and then went back inside. "But please, change before you come see us." The girl chuckled, before brushing off the skirt of her dress and going back to her chambers, where her maids waited with a pale pink dress. 

When she joined her parents, the queen and the king, in the big throne room, her father greeted her with a big smile. "There she is, my delicate little rose! My most prized possession, more valuable than any gem in this kingdom! Yeri!" Yeri laughed at her father's extraness and sat down in the throne on his right, regarding her parents with a curious look. "What is it that you wanted to tell me?" she asked softly, hoping it wasn't anything bad. 

As if he could read her mind, her father smiled at her comfortingly. "Something great, my dear. We have found you a husband" her mother suddenly declared, making the smile vanish from the girl's face. "What? Who?" she asked softly, horrified at the idea of marrying someone she has never met. Her parents never let her have male friends, even when she was still a little girl. She was never allowed to play with the children of the servants, even though they lived in the palast as well as their parents. 

Her father did not notice the mood swing his daughter just went through. "The crown prince of Ustrina, prince Jungkook! The king of our neighboring country reached out to me yesterday because he wanted to unite our kingdoms with our children's marriage. "I thought prince Seokjin was the crown prince of Ustrina" Yeri muttered, confused. "He declined his throne, so now his younger brother Jungkook will inherit the throne when the time comes" her mother explained softly. Yeri nodded, lost in her own thoughts. "I don't know this Jungkook. How can I marry him?" 

"You will get to know him. You will meet in not even a week to arrange everything. You will like him, I think very highly of King Junghyun's sons." Yeri stood up abruptly, her face downcast. "If you will excuse me, I will go back to my chambers to think about what you've just said" Yeri politely whispered before she all but fled the room. "We love you, sweetheart!" her parents yelled after her. Yeri arrived in her chambers shortly after, leaning against the door and sighing heavily. "Is everything alright, princess?" her maid, Nami asked her softly, staring at Yeri with concern shining in her old eyes. 

"Do you by any chance, know anything about crown prince Jungkook of Ustrina?" she asked with a sigh, sitting down in one of the two big armchairs in her room. She gestured Nami to sit in the other one and the old maid sat down hesitantly. "I do know some things, princess. The staff talks a lot, especially the guards and you can learn some things..." Yeri nodded encouragingly. "Can you tell me what he is?" She absentmindedly started to grow a little dandelion in her palms, while she anxiously waited for Nami to go on. "I believe he controls fire princess." 

Poof, just like that the flower retreated back into her palm before it could even bloom. Fire? People who control fire are known to be fierce and hot-tempered, a little arrogant and inconsiderate at times. He was the complete opposite of Yeri, with her powers of controlling nature. She had never met any fire benders in her life, her parents too could control plants and wind, so she was nervous, to say the least. "Are you sure? I heard of Ustrina being ruled by a royal family that controls water" she mumbled, staring at her hands. "I believe the queen and the eldest son are water benders." Yeri nodded, sighing softly. 

"Do you know what he is like? Prince Jungkook?" Yeri could see the confusion as to why she wanted to know so much about this prince in her maid's eyes, but she did not ask. "Well, I heard that he is a very skilled fighter and very attractive, the whole royal family of Ustrina is blessed with very good genes... Personality-wise I can't really say much, he is known to be a bit hot-headed, but he is just and friendly. He will be a great king" Nami softly spoke, thinking about every word twice before it left her mouth. "Why do you ask, princess? If you don't mind me asking." 

Yeri looked out her big window and into the gardens. Her favorite roses immediately caught her eyes. She would miss them all so much, Nami and her parents as well. "Because they will send me away to marry him soon" Yeri explained sadly, her eyes not meeting Nami's in the reflection of the window. Her maid gasped. "He asked for your hand in marriage?" She shook her head. "No, his father did." Nami sniffled suddenly and Yeri turned around in surprise. "I will miss you so much, princess. I have seen you grow up before my very own eyes, I have always been there and now you will leave for another kingdom." Yeri stared at her crying maid in shock. Of course Nami was also very dear to her, but she didn't expect such a strong response from her maid. "Oh, Nami-unnie. I will surely come to visit sometimes. If prince Jungkook is really as positive as you say he is, he will let me visit sometimes!" 

"Tell him to take good care of you, for me."

My first ever chapter for this book! I hope you liked it and maybe you can let me know with a comment or vote? I really appreciate every support I get from you~~ Love you! ❤️