epilogue

There were banners in the streets, red and green and gold. They hung from every windowsill in the kingdom, fluttering in the gentle breeze of a cool spring day. People were running around down on the cobblestone paths, they were laughing and chattering amongst themselves, children tugging on their mother's hand to get to their location faster, impatient. Bakers were handing out free pastry, smiling at every person they met. It was a joyous day indeed. A reason to pull out their Sunday clothes from their wardrobes. 

The day before had not been so nice, a grave silence and fear settling over the kingdom at the news from the castle, everyone holding their breath for what might happen next. And in the early hours of the morning, the frost still clinging to the gentle petals of the early spring flowers, the castle, and all the land in the kingdom received the good news for which they were now traveling to the foot of the castle to celebrate. 

The prince was born. 

***

King Jungkook stepped out first, the golden crown that resembled flames glittering in the early morning sun. His posture was straight, his chin held high and he looked at his people from the balcony, feeling the joy in his heart reverberate through the masses of his kingdom. He looked down and he felt pride swell in his chest. Pride for what he accomplished after the assassination of his father and his mother's disappearance, pride for the people who trusted him as their king now. Pride for the family he had built for himself. 

He turned his head at that thought, holding out one hand for the beautiful woman who would walk up to him now. Yeri looked still as beautiful as when she did when he first met her, although he didn't want to acknowledge it at the time. She was tired from childbirth, but she was still held herself regal, even after the complications of the night before. For a long moment, Jungkook had feared he would lose both his wife and his son. 

But here she was, his Queen, and in her arms, the small bundle of a writhing baby, the crown on its head, falling continuously with every move it made. Jungkook smiled at the sight. He guided his wife to the edge of the balcony where he stood as well, so his people could see their Queen and their prince and that they were well. Cheers erupted from the crowd and Jungkook laughed at their joy. 

"Bow down for the King and Queen and Prince Hoseok from Ustrina!" a loud voice yelled over the massive cheers and the people moved, as if they were one, on their knees. Jungkook looked over his people with pride, but Yeri only had eyes for the baby in her arms that she had put to life with so much difficulty and pain. But all she suffered paled in the shining light of her newborn son's eyes and the locket that was hung around his neck. 

And she knew that everything would be okay now. 

The end. 

Thank you to everyone who read this story from beginning to end and thank you to everyone who had stuck by me during my months of inactiveness. With the end of this story, I must now also announce the end of my chapter on this wattpad account. I won't close it, but I will move on to a new one (eu4riakoo) where I want to tell new stories. If you want to continue to support me and my work, then please feel welcome to check in with me and do so. I will check in on this account from time to time too, to talk to you guys. 

Thank you for everything, love, Marlena