t w e l v e

The next morning Jungkook woke up in Yeri's bed, confused how he got there. The princess had her arms around his torso and her head was comfortably lying on his chest, eyes closed and lips parted slightly. It took the prince a few minutes, before he relaxed and remembered why he was there. Another assassination attempt. The thunderstorm. A crying princess. And a shocking confession in the middle of the night, paired with a kiss that Jungkook could remember all too well. 

Jungkook had thought the princess was asleep already, drifting in and out of consciousness himself. It was then that she rolled over again, eyes drooping and full of the desire to finally succumb to sleep, but she resisted. "Is this how it would be if you actually loved me?" she mumbled sleepily. Jungkook really had to listen closely to understand her at all. He was shocked by her words, mouth parted and all the sleepiness was forgotten for a mere second. His heart was beating violently against her ribcage and he wondered if she could feel it too, considering how close she was pressed against him. 

"It is nice," she continued, "seeing what we could've been." Jungkook concluded then and there, that she must already think she is dreaming, that she would never say things like that if she was even a slither more conscious than she was now. "Is that what you wished for, princess?" he mumbled softly, staring at her in the darkness. "I never wished for the throne, my prince. All I wanted was your heart."

Maybe it was a bad idea but in the peaceful silence of the night with the moon as the only witness to this moment, Jungkook couldn't bring himself to care, as he cupped her cheek gently and pressed his lips to hers. This time there was no one watching them, no responsibilities clouding his mind. All he could feel was her warmth and her soft lips that kissed him back just as delicately. He didn't think at all about what this kiss meant to him, he just let it happen. 

He broke the kiss first, Yeri chasing after his lips slightly with her eyes closed. "Just sleep, my dear" he whispered, smiling softly at the way she cuddled closer to him. Yeri truly was out like a light the next second, Jungkook following her suit. 

All the sleepy courage he had the night before, vanished with the sun rising on the horizon and Jungkook found himself truly shocked at the memory of last night's events. He was confused about his own feelings, confused about the princess's words and scared of her reaction when she woke up, so he did what every man would do when confronted with his own feelings. 

He fled out of her bedroom as quietly and fast as possible and practically sprinted into the safety of his own chambers. The first thing he did was wash up and get changed since he couldn't do that the night before because he immediately when to check up on the princess. Jungkook winced slightly at the thought of the princess' clean bedsheets that were surely dirtied with blood and ash now. 

Meanwhile, the queen was sitting in the library again, a book in her lap when Namjoon sat down in the chair next to her. "You look troubled, my queen" he said softly to not disturb the silence too much and the woman looked up at his concerned eyes. A smile slowly made its way on her face and she gently closed the book after putting the bookmark in that Jungkook had made her when he was 5. 

"It's about Jungkook" she started, sighing softly as she gave in like every time Namjoon's intelligent eyes were focused on her. He always found the right words to ease her worries and therefore became her most trusted advisor. "You see... My husband always wanted a strong heir that he could trust with his kingdom and when Seokjin was born and he had my powers, I think he was disappointed. He doesn't seem to love him like he should." 

Namjoon was silent, while she talked, but the queen knew, he was listening intently to what she said. "And then Jungkook came along and he was so pleased to have a son with his powers, but no matter how hard he tried, Jungkook was a gentle and sensitive boy and once again, he was disappointed. Jungkook was always disciplined harder than his brother. He thinks he succeeded in hardening him, making him the war machine he intended him to be, but I can still see my little boy, that cried when he found a cat with three legs, in him."

"You're scared he won't be a good king?" Namjoon finally spoke up, pure empathy in his eyes. "I'm scared that he'll break on his responsibilities. I just wish my husband would've objected to Seokjin's wish a little more."

***

Jungkook didn't see Yeri for the remainder of the morning and he grew anxious. There were two possibilities as to why he hadn't seen her yet. The first, and most likely one being that she was still asleep. A little voice in his head told him that she also might remember the events of the night prior and was feeling so appalled by him and his actions, that she locked herself in her room and would never come out ever again. Needless to say, everyone could tell how on edge he was and it didn't take long at all until Hoseok spoke up about it. 

"You look absolutely awful. Are you okay?" he asked the prince with furrowed eyebrows, interrogating the boy as soon as he tried to go into the gardens. "Are you still on edge because of the events from yesterday? I can assure you, we are highly alert. Nobody could've snuck on the castle grounds this time. You are safe" he tried to comfort his dongsaeng. Jungkook contemplated telling his closest friend everything right then, but he was stopped a second after when he came face to face with the princess herself, who just exited the gardens. 

And her gaze told him everything. She remembered. 

Guess who finally has wifi for a few hours to update? :D It's your favorite author-nim on this website! (lmao just kidding) The plot is thickening guys, are you ready?