s i x t e e n

When Hoseok returned with a heavy heart but a peaceful mind, he was anxiously awaited by the crown prince. "Did you see her?" he asked as soon as Hoseok entered the castle again, making the guard jump in surprise, because he didn't expect it. "I did" Hoseok answered somberly but forced a big smile for the prince. "And did you ask her? Does she still love me?" Oh, she damn sure does love you a lot, still, he thought to himself, but outwardly he just nodded to confirm the prince's hopes. 

"What did she say to the idea of running away together?" He froze. Somehow, this important detail of his message had been forgotten in his heartbreak. The princess had no idea of such a plan on Jungkook's part. "Oh, uh... She really wants to see you again" he carefully invaded the question and luckily, the boy didn't notice, too delighted with the made up answer Hoseok was giving him. Did he feel bad? Totally. Would he rather tell the truth? Nah, not particularly. 

"Then I need to ask another favor, Hyung" Jungkook pleaded once again, something he never did before all this happened. The Jungkook from before would never plead or beg, he would rather die than showing any signs of weakness. He changed in a lot of ways since meeting the princess. "What is it this time?" the guard answered almost grumpily. But it was Jungkook...

"I need you to cover for me when I leave to see Yeri." Hoseok stopped any and all movement, his hand that was aiming to brush his fringe back from his eyes, froze midair. "If this would come out, that I'm covering for you while you leave the kingdom to enemy's territory, I will be executed, Jungkook." The prince's hopeful face deflated a little at his words. He was right of course. If someone were to find out, he would be beheaded or worse by his father, because this was considered treason on the highest level. 

He was shocked at himself that he forgot all about that important fact. "You're right, hyung. I can't ask you to put your life on the line for me. You've already done so much. This mess is entirely on me and I shouldn't pull you in deeper than I already did. I'm sorry." Jungkook made to leave, his head hung low in disappointment, but he would never want to endanger his childhood friend like this, he was the only friend he had after his brother started avoiding him. 

Hoseok looked after the prince, sighing deeply to himself, as Yeri's face flashed in front of his eyes again. He remembered again how her beautiful eyes sparkled with emotion when talking about Jungkook and before he could think about it further, remind himself of the risks, he found himself calling out to the younger. "Okay, I'll do it." 

Like a flash, the prince was in front of him again, shaking his head nervously. "I can't ask you to do that, I'm sorry I brought it up in the first place" he mumbled but Hoseok's decision was made. "I'll manage somehow. I'll just say you're not feeling too well and that you don't wanna be disturbed. I'll say you ordered me to bring you the food and stuff, that way I can also stuff myself, it's a win-win situation" he joked awkwardly but Jungkook didn't laugh. 

"Are you sure about this, Hoseok-hyung?" He nodded briefly. "Thanks, hyung" the next second the prince was on him, engulfing the guard in a tight hug, chin on his shoulder over his armor. Hoseok felt his throat constrict painfully with emotions and he willed them down with a forced chuckle, petting the prince's back awkwardly. 

"Stop clinging and get ready to see your fiancée, how about it, you big baby" he mumbled with a teasing tone to his voice and Jungkook detached immediately, sticking his tongue out at the older. "At least I have one" he countered in a joking way but Hoseok almost flinched. That was a low blow, not that Jungkook realized. The boy was so oblivious at times, it was worrying. "Just go, you rascal" Hoseok chuckled, turning to leave as well. Maybe he could find Tae somewhere and spar a little with him to focus on something else but the trouble he got himself into once again. 

"Thank you again, hyung. I'll be back super quick so nobody has even a chance of finding out I'm gone and you will be in no danger at all" Jungkook promised in a soft voice, before he too turned and skipped to his chambers, packing clothes into a linen sack, as well as enough money to last him  a month, not that he planned on staying away that long. A few days max, he just needed to see her and talk to her, maybe try to come up with a way to confront her father so that stupid war issue could be resolved peacefully. Yes, that was the plan, he told himself on the way to the stable. 

His mare was already nervously walking around in her stable as if she could sense that her owner planned a big adventure for the both of them. "Hello, beautiful" he spoke softly, petting her dark mane with a gentle smile and tender touch. "We're gonna go on an exciting journey together, love" he mumbled with a smile, retrieving a carrot from a sack on the floor. 

"I should probably pack a few of those as well" he spoke to himself, deep in thought, putting some together with his clothes in his sack. Probably not the wisest decision, as he will probably arrive at Yeri's doorstep smelling like a vegetable. 

But Jungkook just couldn't bring himself to care, as he stormed off minutes later. He would see her again. 

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for the long wait for this (short) update, I had exams and just stress and illnesses coming up the last few weeks and didn't really find time to do anything else but sleep and study. I'll try to update regularly again, but again, I can't promise anything right now, because it's exam prime season. Don't be too mad at me please, I love you all and I'm trying my best!