e l e v e n

After that fateful day, their relationship progressed slowly. It kinda had to as well, because now that their engagement was official, the whole kingdom was basically watching them. But with the excitement and joy in the kingdom also came the people that disliked the change that was to come. Jungkook had many supporters behind him, but sadly also many enemies. People believed him to be an awful king because of his experience in warfare and feared he would destroy the kingdom during his reign, so now there were frequent attacks on the prince. 

The young prince tried to seem unfazed by this, but everyone who knew him better could clearly see how torn and afraid he was. The atmosphere was very tense in the castle and Jungkook ordered for the princess to never be alone in the gardens, but be accompanied by the head guard or himself at all times. Yeri didn't like that news at all of course, but she accepted it because she didn't want to stress out her fiance even more. 

They spent more time together now, meeting in the middle of the night when they can't sleep and just talking. When the moon stands high on the sky, the pale light reflecting in their eyes, filled with emotion it seemed like their hearts beat as one. When they shared their secrets and emotions in hushed whispers, there seemed to be a small bond manifesting with all the shy touches and gentle smiles. But never did they go as far as that kiss a few weeks ago. 

But it was only a matter of time until something happened. Yeri could feel the calm of the storm and it hit them right when the whole royal family sat together for lunch in their pavilion in the gardens. Yeri was just about to take a raspberry from the plate, the laughter of the queen ringing through the air, when there was a sudden shout from the guards, before one of them collapsed right on the stairs of the pavilion. An arrow stuck straight in the air, blood gushing from his back and he was not moving. Yeri gasped in horror, as another arrow soared through the air, hitting another guard straight in the head. 

It all happened so fast, nobody had time to react, but soon enough Hoseok was on his feet, shouting commands at the remaining guards as he molded himself a uniform out of the tableware Yeri was just eating off on. "Protect the royal family!" he barked and Taehyung was immediately on their side, guiding the king, prince Seokjin, and the queen away, but Yeri did not budge. "Jungkook!" she screamed in panic, as she saw the prince standing in the middle of the fight that had broken out, his arms and clothes ablaze with hellfire. 

It was clear that this was once again an attempt on his life. Jungkook turned his face to her when she called his name, his eyes dark with fury and determination. He would not go to safety with them. "My princess, please we have to get inside" Taehyung spoke with a hard voice, as he once again tried to lead her inside, where the rest of the family already waited. Finally, you could see the attackers, there were many and they were dressed all in red and black, the colors of their kingdom. 

Hoseok was fighting three at once, blocking and dodging daggers and whatever was thrown at him, killing and defending with precision. Finally, Yeri saw the lethality behind the sunshine exterior and understood how someone like him could become headguard. Jungkook was still watching the princess and then three things happened at once. Hoseok was struck with lightning by another attacker with the same abilities as Tae and sank to his knees, twitching. Jungkook dodged an arrow that was aimed at his head, that still grazed his cheek and cut it open. As soon as Yeri saw this, she screamed and started to run forward. 

Taehyung immediately scooped her up, though and quickly carried her inside, up the stairs and locked her in her room. "Let me go! I need to help!" she screamed and banged her fists against the heavy oak doors. "I'm sorry, princess, but I have orders from prince Jungkook. I can't let any harm come to you" he mumbled through the door and then left the princess alone with her fears. Strangely, although Hoseok was her best friend her main concern was the prince who had made her life a living hell but now held her hand during the night when they walked the halls in comfortable silence. Yeri sobbed heavily, sliding down the wall to the floor and just prayed that he would come back safe. 

Meanwhile, Jungkook had quickly recovered from the blow to his face, fixing the archer who grazed him with the deadliest gaze he could muster. The man stood a few feet away from him, the bow still raised but no arrow in sight. "Down with the heir! Under him our kingdom will go down in flames!" he chanted their slogan bravely as he watched the prince wipe the blood from his neck with his sleeve. A devilish grin broke on the boy's face. "You wanna see hell, my good man? I will give you hell" he seethed, his whole body bursting into flames of pure hot wrath. He looked like an angel in the white light of his ability, beautiful but deadly. 

Not one of the attackers survived their foolish assassination attempt and as soon as the last body hit the ground, the beautiful garden painted red with the blood of wasted life, Jungkook cooled down. Sometime during the fight, it had begun to rain, a thunderstorm had started that Tae had used to his advantage, mowing down more attackers than anyone else that day. Jungkook stood in the downpour a few seconds, letting the water wash away the traces of murder and pain until he heard another thunder sound through the electricity laden air. 

Only then did he remember the princess in her chambers and her fear of thunderstorms. His feet carried her to her door all on their own and he immediately ordered the guards to open the door for him. When he entered, he noticed the little burrito of blankets on the bed, little sniffles and occasional shrieks coming from it every time that thunder disturbed the silence. His heart ached, seeing her like this and he slowly stepped closer, sitting down on the bed beside her. 

"Sweetheart?" he didn't know where that nickname came from, it was probably just a reflex when seeing her like that, but at the sound of his voice, the blanket immediately lifted and a sobbing Yeri threw herself in his arms. "You're a complete asshole! I hate you!" she sobbed into his chest and Jungkook's heart bloomed at her voice. A small smile stole itself on his tired face and he held her tightly. "I thought you said you don't hate me anymore" he mumbled into her hair and she hit his shoulder lightly. 

"How could you do this to me! And even getting hurt!" she scolded him and held his cheek slightly, as she finally looked up at him. Jungkook flinched slightly at the sting her touch caused. Her bottom lip trembled at that, but he reacted immediately, pressing her face against his chest again. "I'm fine, princess. Don't worry" he tried to soothe her, laying down with her. 

He held her the whole night, calming her sobs with hushed whispers of reassurance. 

Enjoy this chapter~ As always, why don't you vote and comment if you liked the chapter? See you soon, I love you guys!