l e t t i n g g o

"Hyung, I need a favor" the young prince whispered hastily as Hoseok patrolled the gardens, not noticing the boy sitting by the pond on his own. Two weeks had passed since the princess was gone and Hoseok often noticed the young prince to be restless and unhappy. He couldn't really blame him, he too missed the calming and gentle nature of her at the castle. "I didn't even see you there, my prince" Hoseok mumbled, as he eyed his friend warily. The last few days Jungkook had started to look even worse, he was concerned for him. 

"Hoseok. I need you to visit Yeri and ask her if she still loves me and if she would run away with me" he spoke quickly, taking the guard's hand in his, his eyes pleading for a positive answer to his request. "I-I can't just leave my post, Jungkook" he replied, truly shocked by this sudden request. "I can allow you! As your future king I command you even! Please Hoseok, you're my best friend. I don't know who else I could trust with this." 

How could he say no to his best friend when he was suffering so clearly?

***

Her window was high up, the castle walls generally higher than the ones he was used to in Ustrina. Hoseok sighed, eyeing the small windowledge he was to reach some way, somehow. "You really really owe me for this" he mumbled under his breath, his heart heavy in his chest as he started to mold the iron plaquettes on the castle walls to handy little ladders he could climb. He just prayed nobody would see him sitting on the window sill of the princess' chambers. 

He knocked thrice, before a very startled Yeri opened the curtains, almost screaming as she saw him sitting there. "What the hell are you doing here?!" she whisper-yelled, quickly opening the window and pulling him inside. The first thing Hoseok noticed was how her room smelled just like the princess, just like roses. He unconsciously leaned in and savored the smell. His heart ached for it. "Hoseok, what are you doing here" Yeri repeated, as she noticed that she would not get an answer like this. 

"Did Jungkook send you?" the hopefulness of her voice and the sound of his name off her tongue, snapped Hoseok back to reality. "Even when it's me that's standing right before you, you only think of him" he mumbled, a deep sadness settling in his stomach. "He was always your first choice, even when he burned you and it was me that kept you company. Tried to keep you happy." 

Yeri's cheeks flushed, tears springing to her eyes. "Hoseok... please don't do this" she pleaded dejectedly. His feelings were no surprise to the princess but what was she supposed to say? He knew that she would not choose him over the prince. He nodded sadly, "I'm sorry. It was foolish of me to ever think you could feel the same way for me. You're a princess that deserves a mighty prince and not a mere guard." He turned around to leave through the window again, when her small, hesitant voice, called him back. 

"Hoseok... There was a time, where loving you seemed entirely possible but feelings change" she mumbled, voice small. He stopped, turning around with a heartbroken smile. "I really wish you hadn't told me this, my princess" he uttered, walking up to her again. "Because I still have to let you go now." Yeri was crying softly. "You were my best friend in the castle, I will miss you so much" she sniffled, closing her eyes as Hoseok leaned forward to plant a soft kiss on her forehead. 

"Goodbye, princess."