n i n e

"I don't know anything about her" the prince murmured dejectedly, as he sparred with Hoseok again, wiping the blood from his lips from his lower lip. The guard cut the burnt sleeve of his shirt off, as he answered the prince. "About Yeri?" He asked, to clarify who Jungkook meant before he smiled slightly. 

"Her favorite flowers are poppies, not roses actually. Those are just the flowers that remind her of her mother most. She is allergic to seafood. Her favorite color is light green. Her favorite fruits are strawberries. She is scared of thunderstorms" the guard suddenly started ranting and Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise. "Well, you seem to know a lot about the princess," the prince remarked, a bitter taste spreading in his mouth at the realization. 

Hoseok looked at the ground at that, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. "I was just curious, that's all" he muttered, the corner of his mouth drawn downwards. Jungkook simply nodded, not really keen on asking for his real motives at the moment. "I'll try to remember that" he just answered after a while, standing up straighter and walking away. "If you'll excuse me, my mother wished to speak to me."

She could be found in the library, as usual, Namjoon sitting next to her. Jungkook walked right up to her and sat opposite her on the table, carefully pushing the books aside, so he could look at the queen. She smiled, as she saw her son. "Finally! I was wondering when you would come see me" she spoke in her gentle voice and gently touched his bruised lower lip with her delicate fingers, frowning at the injury. "When will you stop fighting all the time" she sighed, a somber expression on her face. 

Jungkook gently took her hand away, taking it between his own on the table. "I'm fine, mother. This surely isn't the reason you requested me today, is it?" he asked her softly and the queen smiled, shaking her head. "Please don't freak out over this again, my son, but your father and I talked. We even requested Namjoon and Yoongi to be there to get second opinions, but they also agreed with us" the queen started, but with her rambling, she just kept confusing the prince. 

"What is it you agreed on?" he asked the queen. "We want to announce your engagement with princess Yeri soon." Jungkook's heart missed a beat at that news. As if the queen could hear it, she immediately kept on talking. "You don't have to marry her in the nearest future! I am bidding as much time for you as I can, my son." Jungkook nodded slowly, his eyes downcast. "When will the engagement be?" 

"Next week. The proposal can be quiet, we're not gonna throw a huge ball, because I know, how you detest such festivities and I want you to be comfortable. But your father wants us to publicly announce the wedding the next day to our people. I'm sorry but this can't be avoided" she declared and Jungkook sighed again. "Well, there's nothing I can do about it now, is there?" 

***

The next week came way too quickly, Jungkook had appointments with their goldsmith to find the best engagement ring. Although the result was more than beautiful, he was only filled with dread, when he looked at it. HIs time was running out and there was still the thing that she hated him... Jungkook sighed deeply, as he turned the ring in his palm. "If she had a choice, she wouldn't say yes, but she doesn't, so here goes nothing" he murmured, as he knocked on her door. 

The princess opened immediately, jumping back in surprise when she noticed the prince in front of her door. "Please don't" she whispered before she could stop herself, fear evident in her voice. That was when the prince broke down. A sob immediately wrecked his body and he fell to the floor. The princess stared at him in shock, unable to do anything but watch the broken boy by her feet. 

"I'm sick of this. I'm so fucking tired of this mess. I never wanted to hurt you and make you hate me. I didn't want any of this! My clothes may be fireproof, but I am not, Yeri! The fire is inside me and it's burning and consuming me too. I feel so helpless, I never asked for this! I never wanted to be my father, fuck, I absolutely hate him and I hate these destructive powers! And I fucking hate my brother too, because he is gentle like my mother and you wouldn't need to fear him. All I am is a weapon of destruction! But does it matter? No, because soon I'll be king and everyone thinks I'll do great, that I'll defend this kingdom but I am scared. I can't rule!" 

Yeri was shocked by the revelation and before she could even think what she was doing, she dropped to her knees and embraced the crying boy, although his skin was a little hotter than comfortable due to his emotions. "I forgive you, Junkook. I forgive you" she murmured into his hair, simply holding him until the sobs died down. 

When he had calmed down a little, Yeri noticed the little gold ring, he was clutching so tightly in his palm before. "Oh, this is why you came" she murmured. "Yes," he sighed weakly. "Okay, I accept. I will marry you, my prince." 

***

The next morning, Jungkook stood in front of hundreds of people, his red dress shirt and gold chains making him look every part the king he soon would be. Next to him stood princess Yeri, also in a beautiful red gown, looking down at her people just as nervously as he was. The queen was holding a speech about the engagement and how happy she was, when the king tapped him on the shoulder. 

Jungkook slightly turned toward him, so he could hear him out. "Kiss the princess" he murmured in his ear and Jungkook froze. He knew better than to argue with his father. Suddenly his mother's voice quieted down. He could feel hundreds of eyes boring into him all at once. He gulped as he turned towards the princess, who looked at him with a mix of confusion and curiosity. 

He took her hands in his, praying that she wouldn't reject him in front of his people. Then he leaned in. 

*insert two eyes emoji* woops that's a cliffhanger.