Twenty

i'm sorry in advance...

. . .

It had been a month since Draco had proposed to Hermione in front of everyone in the Great Hall. And it had been a month since Hermione had accepted his proposal in front of everyone in the Great Hall.

It had also been another month of their children growing older which only meant one incredibly sad and dreadful thing. They were ten and it was time for them to go.

. . .

"Mum, dad," Scorpius called out before walking right into their room. "Mum, why're you crying?"

He had walked into Hermione and Draco's room to ask them if he could go hang out with James, Albus, and Robin only to find his mum crying and his dad comforting her.

Hermione just smiled, wiping her eyes. "It's okay Scorp, nothings wrong. What do you need honey?"

"I was just wondering if I could go hang out with James, Albus, and Robin for a bit."

"Sure honey," she whispered, an obviously sad smile on her face.

Scorpius took another look at his parents, unsure if he should really go.

"Go ahead, baby," Hermione said. "I'm okay."

Scorpius nodded, still unsure, and made his way out of the room, shutting the door behind him. He didn't move away from the door though as he tried to listen in, unfortunately he couldn't hear anything at all. It was completely silent, almost as if his parents had cast a silencing charm on the room.

The boy sighed before running to put on his shoes and made his way out the door to find his friends.

. . .

"Hermione, baby, you need to stop crying," Draco said, trying to soothe his fiancé. "We have to act like nothing's wrong for the sake of the kids not finding out."

Hermione let out another sob, clearly still upset that her two children would be disappearing into thin air at anytime now.

"It'll be okay, 'Mione. I promise."

She nodded, slowly untangling herself from Draco's embrace. Hermione got out of the bed and walked into the bathroom, fixing herself up so it didn't look like she had been crying.

"Alright, let's go do this."

. . .

Draco had gone to find Scorpius to bring him back home despite his whining about not being able to hang out with his friends.

The couple and their children sat around the coffee table in the living room, a movie being played on the tv and a board game laid out in front of them.

"Two hundred dollars please," Scorpius announced, setting his game piece down. They were playing Monopoly and he had just passed Go. Draco handed him the money before Danielle rolled, taking her turn.

"Mummy, I'm hungry." She said while moving her piece to Oriental Avenue. The girl owned that spot so nothing had to be done.

"Me too," Scorpius agreed.

Hermione nodded and got up, already have taken her turn. "What would you like?"

"Mac N Cheese," Danielle said giddily as Draco had just landed on one of her purchases.

"Draco, come help me when you're done please." Hermione said before leaving for the kitchen.

She took out a pot and filled it up halfway with water before setting it on the stove to boil. Draco joined her a few minutes later, hugging her around the waist and pulling her back into him. He kissed the top of her head before resting his chin on it.

"I love you so much," he whispered. "You're going to be a fantastic mum to our children one day."

Hermione stifled a sob, her shoulders shaking a bit. "I don't want them to leave."

"I know, I don't either."

. . .

The mac n cheese was finally done and Hermione and Draco hadn't heard a lot of noise from the kids which didn't really seem like a problem to them as they had never really been loud in the first place. So, when they had walked out of the kitchen only to find no one there, Hermione freaked out and started sobbing.

"They're gone," she cried falling onto the floor, the bowls of mac n cheese in her hands completely forgotten.

"I'm sure they're just in their rooms," Draco tried reasoning, though it was clear he was upset himself and was trying not to cry from the raspiness of his voice.

He slowly walked away from Hermione to go to check his children's rooms. Not finding them there he checked the bathrooms.

Empty.

Draco made his way back to the living room, tears clouding his vision. He found Hermione on the sofa holding a letter in her hands, tears streaming down her face as she quietly sobbed.

Draco sat down next to her and took the letter, reading it for himself.

Dear Mrs. Granger and Mr. Malfoy,

I thank you for your cooperation throughout this project and lesson. I also congratulate you on your recent engagement and hope the best for your future. Professor McGonagall will explain your final assignment when you go to class tomorrow. Please remember that this assignment is worth your entire grade and you should not procrastinate. Once again, thank you for your cooperation.

The Minster of Magic

The letter fell from Draco's hand and he wrapped a sobbing Hermione in his embrace. He gently picked her up and carried her to their room where they laid in bed, cuddled up together.

Hermione continued to sob and this time Draco didn't do anything to stop it. He was upset too. They fell asleep curled up against each other, crying until they had no more tears left to shed.