Behind The Mask (Gerome)

I FINALLY WROTE IT,  irishdragon1010! I DIDN'T FORGET YOU, I PROMISE!

=================================================

Gerome was known to be a Quiet, Restrictive Person. Sometimes even cruel.

Having lost his parents to death, he always thought that it would only happen all over again if he ever got attached to them again. If he ever loved them again.

He always thought that would happen if he ever got too close to someone, anyone. That Fate would be horribly cruel and would just snatch them away while laughing at Gerome's Misery.

So, he kept his distance. He wanted to hug his Mother, embrace his Father. But he refused. He wanted to know what it was like to have people to talk to, just like all of the other Children of the Future did. He wanted to know what it would be like to just be a normal person, and not have to worry about Risen and Bandits every 5 minutes.

But the Horrible Memory of Loss always replayed in his mind when he thought of that. So he always brushed it all away and put on a gruff, serious face again.

Minerva was all that he needed. All that he kept close. The only one he stayed near to.

He was usually successful in keeping everyone away, keeping his Black Mask on, and the lonely, sad version of himself behind closed door.

.... Usually.

This damned girl, (Y/n), daughter of Gaius and his Wife, never understood that Gerome didn't want to be around anybody, and she wasn't an exception. She was a Wyvern Rider, just like he was, and she had the idea of naming her Dragon 'Camilla'. The both of them were always overwhelmingly Happy and Bouncy, and Camilla was extremely affectionate towards the girl.

Out of everyone in the Camp, it was always (Y/n) who thought it was a bright idea to approach Gerome and just begin talking to him out of nowhere.

At first, he thought it'd be a good idea to just ignore her. But she kept talking and talking...

So that plan was getting him nowhere.

So, he tried just giving her short answers, hoping that they would agitate her and make her leave him alone.

"Do you think Lucina ever gets as weird as Owain when she's around him, with them being cousins and all?"

"No idea."

I'm pretty sure Inigo and Severa have a thing going on between them, don't you think so?"

"Couldn't tell you."

Conversations like this between the two of them would go on for hours, and afterward, (Y/n) would just bounce to her feet and give a happy "See you tomorrow, Gerome!" before she ran off.

Leaving the Wyvern Rider confused every single time.

What was she playing at?

However, now Gerome was having a slight problem.

OK, more than a slight problem. It was a rather big one in his eyes.

Why was he starting to care about her?

He found himself growing concerned for her whenever she was assigned by Robin to go into Battle. Whenever Risen would ambush her, or whenever she would go up against a Brute Bandit alone. Concern would completely flood his mind until she was bouncing back into camp, a couple cuts here and there, but otherwise walking and uninjured.