Vanilla Cupcakes (Mercedes)

Requested by justamethyst3! Mercedes, the doll she is, will always hold a special place in my heart among the FE3H Cast. The Blue Lions House was the first house I joined in my experience of the game, and she was the very first character I unlocked a support with. I adore her soooo freakin' much, everything about her character is so lovable and sweet, and I'm so glad I was given the opportunity to write for her!

============================================

The Dining Hall was always loud during the afternoon hours, most of the students coming in to take a much-needed break during their lunch and unwind after all the training and tests they had to take in the early morning hours. It was a time that granted everyone relaxation, laughter, and at times, new friendships that they perhaps wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

For you? It was a downright terrifying time.

No matter how many times you told yourself that you earned your place here, that you got your spot here just as honestly as everyone else did, you never felt as though you fit in with anyone else here. Everyone here was a noble in one way or another, or someone of proud status, like Dorothea being a previous prestigious member of the Mittelfrank Opera Company and Ashe being the adopted son of Lord Lonato, despite the pair being commoners just like you were. Even people like Ignatz, Leonie, and Raphael seemed a thousand leagues above you, each of them doing more than necessary to earn their spot in the Golden Deer Class, just like you were, but they were just... so much better. Everyone you were surrounded by in this school just seemed to belong here, all fitting in so well and falling into life around the monastery easily.

And yet, here you were, unable to even go into the Dining Hall without exploding with self-esteem issues and even forgetting where you had to go next after afternoon breaks were over. Falling into life confidently here was a task in of itself, and even though you had been here for a couple of months, you were still struggling.

And people took notice. Even your house leader, Claude, did his best to at least try to help you settle in, and Hilda was quietly betting with Dorothea as to when Claude would drop the facade and actually pull a prank on you like he did with so many other students. But none of it worked. No matter who tried to help you get comfortable, you just... couldn't. This place was intimidating in so many ways, and you didn't think you'd ever get adjusted to just being here, let alone sleeping and living under its roof.

Those facts were the main reason you rarely ever went into the dining hall, even when it was empty, but certainly not when it was as packed as it is now. You always bought something from the market throughout the month with the funds your parents sent you to ensure you were doing well and just made your own food before going somewhere completely secluded (usually your room) and eating before you were forced to head to class again. Your class never asked questions or pressured you into coming, they knew not to push your limits or make you uncomfortable, and it was even a blessing to see you come into class and interact with the other students as minimally as you did. They firmly believed that you would open up and join them in their mini celebrations they had every day when you were ready, and they weren't in any rush to push you.

But, there was a pair of eyes that did notice your plight, and she wasn't even in your class. And, unknowingly to you, she had already convinced herself that she would do her best to ensure you were as comfortable here as you could possibly be. It just wouldn't do to have someone in the school being afraid of even being here, would it? No, Mercedes just had to make sure you were happy here!

"Ah, hello Claude." Mercedes' voice, even when she was secretly plotting something, was always calm and serene. Claude, who was previously just walking by with both Raphael and Hilda, quickly came to a stop when he heard his name, turning his head to meet with the head of platinum blonde hair. A quick, easy smile grew on his face as he slid down into the seat next to her, not even bothering to ask if the seat was taken or not.