Chapter 21 Running Away & You Can Stay

Chapter 21

Running Away & You Can Stay

And so I ran.

I had no intention of ending up at his house. But I guess my legs knew what they were doing. And as I walked over to the front door, the lights were on inside, so I knew someone was home. before I could turn around and run to Stella's house, my finger hit the doorbell.

After a couple of seconds I turned around. He probably was busy doing homework or something.

"Haley?" a voice said behind me, shortly after the sound of a door opening.

Turning around I replied, "Hi."

"What are you doing here? Did you miss me that much or something?" Jared asked as a smirk appeared on his face.

"I don't even know why I came here, I'll just go to Stella's house," I said shaking my head and turning around.

"No!" he replied with a change of tone, "Uh, you can stay here." he cleared his throat.

"Thanks," I muttered as I walked into the familiar house.

Jared shut the door and made his way into the kitchen. I took off my shoes and set them by the door as I put my backpack and gym bag on the floor near the staircase.

Walking into the kitchen Jared was looking in the fridge, "No to be rude or anything but why are you here?" he asked as he turned around with one hand still placed on the door of the fridge.

Why was I here?

Honestly, I didn't know either.

"I really don't know, I just started running and-"

"It's fine," he replied looking back in the fridge and shutting it closed.

I don't know how or why but anytime I ran away from my problems, literally ran away, I ended up here. I never knew why, but my feet always did.

"Well I haven't eaten yet and I doubt you did so let's just order some pizza," Jared replied taking his phone out from his pocket.

"So why did you run away from Drew earlier?" Jared asked as we were eating the pizza that had arrived ten minutes ago.

"How do you know I ran away from him?" I asked.

"I don't know what else you'd run away from."

"Oh.."

"So what's up?" he asked.

"It's like he's controlling me. Like he has to control who I hang out with, what I do, and just everything! I was just fed up with this bullshit," I said as I took a bite out of the pizza.

"Hm, I see," Jared said quietly as he took another bite of his slice.

"Yeah."

"Well, it'll all blow over. You can stay here for as long as you want. Mom's not coming back til next week. She got a photography job in New York," he sighed.

"I don't know how you do it," I said.

"Do what?"

"Come home at night only to live in an empty house."

"Well, some people are luckier than others. You get to see your mom for half the day," Jared shrugged, but I could tell he was sad about that too.

After eating a couple slices of pizza, we put the leftovers in the fridge and I helped Jared put the dishes in the dishwasher.

"Here," Jared said taking a bag out of his closet and tossing it to me.