Chapter 16 - Hotline

-

🍣

Him

The clock struck 6:30.
My elbow ached from the weight of my head rested on my hand, pushing my elbow down into the counter.
It was busy tonight but I was tucked away in my normal corner of the restaurant in the far back left hand side.

In my corner I had my own bar. It was a long counter, a few meters, with food, water and most importantly, the Hotline phone. On a lower shelf just below the counter sat the mint green, old fashioned telephone. It was connect to the computer besides it, to remember the callers numbers, their address and their order.

I couldn't believe almost 3 months had passed. It was a miracle this job opened just as I desperately needed to earn some money. But not long after I did, the copycat himself decided this was the restaurant he wanted to work, not any of the millions around but the very one his older brother works at. I couldn't escape the idiot, no matter how much I tried.

Alex is a waiter. He takes everyone's order and zooms through the tables at super speed, occasionally dropping and smashing the odd glass but that's the price you have to pay for being cocky.
They let the kid off, they always do. He flashes one of his iconic pearly white smiles and it's as if he wiped their memories of every incident ever. No one can resist the innocent 15 year old kid.

I'm jealous of him. Of course I'm jealous of him, he's perfect and always has been perfect. Everyone's favourite kid; he's kind, he's smart and he isn't a burden on anyone. To be jealous the kid that's over 3 years younger than you can really deflated your ego every now and again.

He waiters and earns the tips, while I hide in the back corner sorting out the deliveries and manning the Hotline phone which never use to ring until now.

I can't help being, as they call it, "stupid".

"Sup bro!" Alex said, skidding across the floor and stopping just before the edge of the counter.

"It's real busy tonight! Who knew so many people would love Sushi so much? Yeah it is amazing and all but I swear I see these people in here everyday!"
Alex turned his back to the counter to lean both elbows on the edge, watching as the people laughing and eating.

"Crazy huh?" I said glumly, I felt bad, really bad. Alex worked long hours for the extra pay, long hours for me. Yet, I sat alone in the corner waiting for a phone call or waiting for someone to collect a takeaway box.

"What's wrong?" Alex asked turning round to face me, leaning both elbows on the counter. My eyes unconsciously moved below the counter, to the one object I had beside me.

"Your girl hasn't called has she?" Alex whispered, leaning over the counter for only me to hear.

"What! N-no it's not that," I stuttered defensively, feeling a hotness on my cheekbones.

"It is," Alex teased.

"Shut up,"

"I can read you like an open book."
Alex said rolling his eyes.

"No," I said quietly, "she told me yesterday, she couldn't talk today,"

"Hmm ok lover boy," Alex said before walking off to a far table. I narrowed my eyes in frustration as if you fire daggers from the very pupils.

My attention was drawn away as I heard a high pitched voice pop up beside me.

"Ahem, excuse me,"

My eyes darted across to a lady impatiently tapping her shoe, her arms crossed across her chest folding over a
a yellow scarf tied nearly around her neck.

"S-sorry," I mumbled in shock, "How can I help?"

"My order has been placed wrong," she said quickly and sternly, "You see my receipt says I ordered three green teas when in fact I only ordered two and that there should say-"

Her words drowned out. As soon as she pulled her receipt out I instantly panicked. She continued to talk to me while the world went silent. A shake crawled through my hands, my breath becoming short and sharp.

"Alex!" I shouted across the room and before I knew it he rushed over to be beside me, sorting out this ladies receipt.

My brother may be annoying sometimes, but I owe him everything for what he does to help me.

I slumped down on the chair behind the counter in relief. My eyes naturally fell onto the phone, not realising I was caught in a trace, staring deeply at the buttons.

It was a modern phone disguised as an old fashioned telephone. It was wireless, yet still had the turning dial. Mainly because we didn't need to call anyone, they called us.

With a click of a button on the computer beside it, the call would be recorded. This was perfect, meaning all addresses and orders where recorded and sent straight to the chef and the delivery guys.

I didn't noticed until now, how boring manning the Hotline was without the familiar voice calling everyday.

-----------------

If you're enjoying the story so far, I'm assuming you are as you're at chapter 16, please vote or comment or share so I can see you're liking it!

Also follow me I'm always up for a chat or taking reading requests!

-AMG