beacon hills

I opened my eyes slowly, squinting as the sun shone brightly through the window, almost blinding me

I turned over to my side and groaned loudly as I noticed the time.

6.42 AM.

I pulled the covers over my head and groaned loudly again. I was never much of a morning person. I don't understand morning people. How can anybody function this early? Why would anybody want to?

"Morning sleepy head," My father opened the door, chuckling at the sight of me. I groaned yet again in response. I could hear him moving closer to the window, moving the curtains to let even more sunlight into the room. I felt the bed sink a little as he sat down. "Are you looking forward to your first day of school?"

I pulled the covers away from my face and glared at my father and the grin that was taking over his face. He enjoyed waking me up way more than he should. "Oh yes, because being the new kid is always fun."

We had recently moved to Beacon Hills because my father thought it would be a good idea to get out of the city of San Francisco and live somewhere less hectic with more nature.

I didn't have much say in the matter of course since I'm only a teenager and he is the parent.

"It is what you make it!" He chuckled as I rolled my eyes, throwing the covers to the side and getting up from the bed. I knew that if I stayed there any longer, I would never be able to leave. "If you aren't downstairs in twenty minutes, I'm leaving without you."

"Isn't it time for me to have my own car?" He ignored my frequently asked question and closed the door behind him, yelling that I had nineteen minutes left.

I quickly changed into a pair of leggings and a hoodie, putting my hair up in a messy bun. Walking down the hall and into the bathroom, I splashed some water on my face and tried to make myself look somewhat presentable.

I stopped to look at myself in the mirror. I could feel the anxiety creeping around in my chest, making it harder to breathe. I inhaled deeply and held my breath for a few seconds, hoping it would calm me down.

As I skipped down the stairs a few minutes later I thought about school. About the people there and the classes I would be taking.
Would I even fit in?

"With three minutes to spare!" I snapped out of my trance and looked up at my father sipping his coffee. "You ready to leave, kiddo?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," I said and shrugged, grabbing an apple from the kitchen counter. My dad walked up to me, pulling me into a hug.