lost in a reverie

The morning had arrived a little too early for my liking, yet here I was laying in bed with a grin on my face

The morning had arrived a little too early for my liking, yet here I was laying in bed with a grin on my face. Feeling somewhat excited about going to school today.

I could see his eyes so clearly in my head, a warm brown with flecks of honey shining brightly. A lopsided smile on his face.

I was snapped out of my reverie when my phone started ringing, Kira's name written on the display.

"Morning." I said, dragging out the 'o's. I made my way up from the bed and over to my closet, grabbing a pair of jeans and a hoodie. Comfortable is always the way to go. At least for me.

"You sound very happy." She said, a hint of confusion in her voice.

"Good nights sleep, I guess." The grin was back on my face, I was sure you could hear it in my voice.

"Uh huh, sure." She said, not believing me. "Anyway, I'm on my way to pick you up. I'll be there in a few minutes."

We hung up and I went back to getting changed before making my way down the hall and into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth quickly and washed my face, applying a small amount of makeup.

I skipped down the stairs a few moments later and almost ran into my father coming out of the living room, his face buried in his suitcase, looking for something. "You okay, dad?"

He looked up at me surprised. "Oh, morning kiddo. I'm fine, just looking for a file I seem to have misplaced."

"Can I help?" I asked. He sounded so stressed.

"That's okay, sweetheart, nothing to worry about!" He smiled down at me and gave my forehead a quick kiss. How he managed to always stay positive was beyond me. No matter what was happening or what got in his way, he kept going. A smile on his face the whole way.

Even after my mother left us with just a note on the fridge saying that she's sorry. I had just turned six and couldn't understand why she had gone and why dad couldn't tell me when she would be returning. I stopped asking about her as the years went by. Deciding not to waste any more time on someone who abandoned me, even if it was my mother. I focused on the parent that was still there, doing his best to make sure I was okay and had everything that I needed. He always put me first. No matter what.

"Dad, what's wrong?" Seeing him like this made my insides turn. He sighed and looked back at me with the same smile on his face.

"Nothing is wrong." He turned towards me and placed his hands on my shoulder. "It's an important case and I am just over thinking it. I will be fine."

I could tell there was something that he wasn't telling me, but I decided not to press the matter more. I leaned in and hugged him. "Maybe you should try some mindfulness or breathing exercises to help you relax."

He hm'd and looked down at me, a grin appearing on his face. "Maybe I should try yoga again."

"No," I said, remembering the last time he tried that. We heard a honk from outside just then and I was relieved to leave this conversation behind. "That's Kira, wouldn't want her to wait!"

"So no yoga then?"

"No yoga ever!" I half ran out the door, closing it behind as quickly as I could. I could hear him laugh from outside.

"What's that look for?" Kira asked as I entered her car hastily, almost slamming the door behind me.

"Look? What look?" I asked, pretending not to know what she meant, fastening my seatbelt. "How about we go before my dad shows up and starts talking about something worse than yoga."

"Yoga?" She asked, one eyebrow raised.

"Don't ask."

-

We turned up at the school a little while later, I grab my bag as I exit the car and fling it over my shoulder. I notice Kira staring towards the entrance and as I follow her gaze I see Scott arrive on his dirt bike alongside two other boys on motorcycles, stopping on either side of him. Stiles and Isaac join them.

I walk over to Kira and link my arm with hers, giving her a small smile as we start walking. "How are you feeling?"

She looks at me suspiciously and narrows her eyes saying, "I'm good, why are you asking?"

"Because a coyote almost had you for lunch yesterday." I looked at her with my eyebrows raised. I had left the boys behind yesterday and made my way to lunch, trying to find Kira there, but with no such luck. She told me about wanting to return the boy's bags to them when she noticed they were left behind in History class. Saying she wanted to do something nice because that's how you make friends. That's when she almost got eaten by the animal. Luckily Scott was there to save the day.

She let out a chuckle. "I'm fine, really. I'm just glad nobody got hurt."

As we walked past the group of boys her eyes lit up at the sight of her rescuer. I grinned up at her and she rolled her eyes at me in response to my silent accusation.

I was hoping my face wouldn't betray me as I glanced over at Stiles. He looked back at me and smiled. A grin appeared on my face and I quickly turned my attention to the ground, which didn't help me one bit.

"Are you blushing?" Kira asked, laughing at me.

"Shut up," I said and quickened my pace. She continued laughing at me.