23

Chapter Twenty Three

Desmond smacked his teeth when he woke up and smelled fabulouso being burned on the stove and he heard old school r&b playing on the speakers . One thing about Brooklyn that annoyed him was that she was would wake up at the crack of dawn blasting loud music and damn near about to kill him and his kids with all the chemicals she mixed while cleaning .

He got out of bed and went to take care of his morning hygiene before leaving out of the room to look for Brooklyn . He found her living room mopping the floors . Well she wasn't mopping she was using the end of the mop as a microphone as she sung along to Mary J Blidge - Ain't Gonna Cry .

" Baby " He called out catching her attention . She looked over at him and mugged him .

" No go lay your ass back down until i'm finished . " She said causing him to chuckle.

" I can't help ? " He asked to mess with her .

" No " She said . He didn't know how to clean the correct way and she would just have to go over everything he did .

" But i'm hungry Brook " He complained.

" No don't go make nothing in the kitchen order some uber eats " She said .

" Did kids eat ? I know they woke "

" Your mama came to get them early this morning " She said causing him to raise an eyebrow .

" For what ? " He asked .

" I don't know .. she said she told you she was coming to get them " Brooklyn said .

" And you didn't think to ask me before she took my fucking kids ? " He asked as he inched closer to her and she took a step back out of fear.

" No because she said y'all spoke about it , and she's your mother it's not like I let a stranger come get them " She said .

Desmond reached over and backhanded her. " What was that for ? " Brooklyn asked . She had to walk on eggshells around him and sometimes that still didn't work. The littlest things set him off. .

" For getting fucking smart . Everytime you go around your cousins you come back feeling yourself , ima stop you from going round them " He said .

" I didn't even get smart " Brooklyn hollered .

" Who the fuck you yelling at Brooklyn ? " He raised an eyebrow .

" I'm about to step out for a few hours " She said as she sat the mop back in the mop bucket .

" Nah you not allowed to leave right now " He told her like she was his child .

She ignored him as she pulled her phone from out of her pocket and dialed Dricks number . Like always , he answered immediately. " What's up Brook ? "

" Can you come pick me up ? " She said trying not to cry but Drick already heard it in her voice .

" I just told you , you ain't going nowhere so whoever think they bout to pull up at my house gonna get dealt with " Desmond yelled from the background .

" I'm on my way Brook , stay on the phone with me " Drick said as he ran down the stairs of his house to grab his car keys. He had on pajama pants and no shirt with house slippers but he didn't care . He'd been on edge ever since Brooklyn went back to the house with Desmond . He couldn't sleep most nights worrying about her well being.

" Ok " Brooklyn said as she went in the room to pack her some clothes. Desmond followed behind her and took the bag she was putting the clothes in and threw it across the room .