~*~ Chapter Eighteen ~*~

     Once we were nearing the Compound, I heard the familiar howls of my father and brothers in the distance. For the first time since I had met Cooper, I was afraid. I was afraid of being banished and deserted by my own family. I was afraid that my friends would be killed like in Cooper's mother's story. I was afraid that I would be killed.

     Lilian Terra! my father's voice boomed through my thoughts.

     I was too terrified to answer. Never before had I thought that my father would hurt me, but when he found me with a pack of Subbies... I couldn't even think about that.

     Lilian! I hearn my mother scream.

     Y-yes? I studdered.

     You will report to our home immediately, my father said, obviously struggling to keep his temper in hand.

     Instead of answering, I showed up at our home a half an hour later.

     "Shift. Now." my father said.

     I sat down and put my head on my paws.

     "Lilian, shift forms." my mother chimed in.

     I pretended to sneeze, just for affect.

     "Lilian!" my father boomed. His shout was so frightening that birds flew from the forest trees.

     Better do it, Lil, before he bites you, Cooper said.

     "Lilian. Rose. Terra." my mother said.

     "Yes?" I asked.

     "Sub-Elementals?" my father asked.

     He answered his own question by yelling, "SUB-ELEMENTALS?!"

     "Yes, Sub-Elementals." Cooper had shifted forms and was by my side.

     "You have no part in this, dirt." my mother said to Cooper.

     "Hey!" Gale said, smiling, "I'm the only one who can use the name Dirt!"

     "Lilian. In the house. Now." my mother commanded.

     "Sorry, Mom, but no." I said. Now all of my friends had shifted. 

     I heard the howls of banishment rise in the woods. The howls of banishment were deeply set howls that all wolves from an Elemental pack had to sing when a banishment ceremony was about to be held. By howling the howl of banishment, you're saying that you agree that the Elemental in question should be banished.

     I looked back at my parents, who had now shifted back into their Earth Elemental forms, and watched them lift their heads back and howl the same howl.

     Cooper, Aiden, Luna, Crystal, Amber, Gale, Aqua and I were taken deep into the mountains by my brothers, Aaron and Xander. Instead of killing the Subs on site, they were going to execute them after we were banished.

     "Please, X! Listen to me." I'd been trying to convince Xander that the Subbies were alright the entire way up the mountain.

     "Save it, Lily! You're finished." he didn't sound happy, yet he didn't sound sad either.

     "I don't know X. Maybe -" But before I got to finish, Xander slapped me across the cheek.

     "Shut up! Just follow us and shut up!" Xander yelled.

     "Xander, go into the woods and take a break. We've been walking all day." Aaron said.

     "No! I'm fine. Let's just get this done." Xander said. His emotions were on a rollercoaster.

     As we approached the banishment site, the four matriarchs of our pack approached us.

     "Lilian Rose Terra, Gale William Lucht following in the footsteps of his father, Paul William Lucht, Aqua Emilia Wasser, Amber Elizabeth La Feu, you have qualified for banishment under our law and under our Great Creator of Realms." Amber's father read from an old looking scroll, "And for the four abominations that drugged their minds with thoughts of revolt will be executed."

     We walked up the hill to find the entire pack waiting, some crying, some frowning. We approached a stage-looking piece of rock that I had only seen one other time.

     "May those qualifying for banishment switch forms under the eyes of the Elemental pack." my father read.

     We switched forms.

     I guess this is it, I told my friends.

     Guess so, Gale thought, See you on the other side, Dirt.

     I wouldn't take any of it back, Cooper thought. My father handed the old scroll to Aqua's father.

     Me either, Luna joined in.

     Me either, this was a new voice in the conversation but one I've known my entire life. 

     Aaron? I asked. 

     "Under the eyes of the pack and the site of the Great Creator of Realms, I hear by claim that Lilian Rose Terra, Gale William Lucht, Aqua Emilia Wasser, and Amber Elizabeth La Feu are banished from  the Washington pack and -" That's when the ceremony was cut short by Aaron's howl. He began to run towards the stage and attacked the matriarchs. 

     Run! Aaron yelled through our minds.

     Aaron! What are you - I began.

     Just run! Aaron said, I love you, Sissy. Those were the last words I ever heard from my brother. I watched as my father ran up behind Aaron and snapped his neck. Aaron's limp body fell to the ground and my father gave a victory howl.

     Dad! I screamed, beginning to run back.

     Don't call me your father, my father boomed through my thoughts. His eyes locked with mine for half of a second and all I saw in that same green shade was hatred. Pure hatred.

     Lil, come on! Gale yelled through my thoughts.

     I turned to run, leaving the cerupt world of the Elementals behind, not realizing how soon I would be back.