8

LENA'S POV

"Mmhm," Stef moaned when I kissed her bare shoulder the next morning.

"You feeling better?" I asked softly as she rolled onto my side and buried her face in my neck.

She sighed. "I guess. I'm sorry for being such a pain last night." She said, referring to the fact that she drank so much that I had to take care of her at the bar, bringing some water occasionaly.

"You kidding? You've been a pain for almost six months, baby," I smirked, teasing her.

She groaned. "Oh you were so gonna get it if I didn't have a shitty hangover right now."

"Hey," I wrinkled my eyebrows at her. "No cursing this early in the morning."

Stef placed her arm on my left hip and snuggled closer into me. "So that means tonight I can?"

"I should hope not, my parents are coming tonight."

She sighed. "I know. I apologize in advance for fucking up."

I pinched her arm and she yelped.
"That hurts!"

"Stop cursing," I said grinning. "And you'll do fine. Dad told me I should pick them up at the airport at around 7 PM, so that gives me enough time to clean things up here."

I pushed her body off mine and sat down on the bed, ready to get up and start cleaning.

"Nooo. Come back to bed," she whined.

"I have to clean things up. Mom's a perfeccionist, she'll notice if I forget to dust something."

Stef stared at my naked body. "At least put some clothes on so I can focus."

I grabbed one of her flannel shirts from the dresser and put it on in front of her.

"Now that didn't help, you're hot." She finally stood up.

"What do you need to focus on anyway?" I ignored her comment as she kissed me sotfly on the lips and made her way to the bathroom.

"There's a huge list: first, I need to focus on making a good first impression with your parents, then, I need to focus on cleaning the house with you and spending the weekend with your parents. Also, I have to control this killer hangover."

"You did drink a lot last night," I pointed out.

She groaned, turning the shower on. "I wish you'd have stopped me."

"Honey, you're over 21, I thought you knew your drinking limits. Besides, I sure didn't want to act like a babysitter when I was on a date with my girlfriend and friends." I argued.

She gave in, yelling from the shower. "You're right."

I started my cleaning process with our bedroom, making our bed and vacuuming the floor. I then moved to our kitchen, where I found Stef freshly showered and taking a couple of aspirins.

"I'll clean the living room," she announced.

I nodded. "Kay. Can I talk to you for a sec?" I asked.

Stef looked at me immediately. "Sure. What is it?"

"Well, mom and I have a difficult relationship. We love each other, but we don't see eye to eye in some things. Well, most things..."

"Is she homophobic?" Stef interrupted me.

"No, nothing like that! Just different personalities. So I don't share a lot of my personal life with her... which means she doesn't know much about us." I finally had courage to say it.

"Lena... how much does she know about us? Or me?" She pushed.

"She knows I'm dating a woman named Stef, who is beautiful and tough-"

"Lena." Stef said firmly.

"She doesn't know we moved in together. She doesn't know I moved out of the old place at all."

"Fuck, Lena! Are you serious?" Stef freaked out, walking in circles around me.

"But hey, I'll tell her. That's why I'm going to pick them up by myself. I'll let her know. And it'll be fine."

"I- you should have told me. Now I'm fucking nervous. I- wanted her to like me."

"She will. Look, I'm sorry, but it's more complicated than that. Dad knows everything, but I begged him not to tell her. Just for now."

She sighed. "I can't say that I'm not mad."

"Things will be fine. She's leaving on Monday anyways, so-"

"You should have told me. We live together." Stef said slowly.

I knew. I knew I'd messed up but I didn't know how to fix it. The main problem was that Mom was coming at all. She had a way of making me nervous that went beyond my understanding.

Stef never saw this side of me before. I've never shown her. I didn't want to. But now... she caught a glimpse of it already.

"I suck when it comes to my Mother. I simply mess up every time her name is involved. I hate it, but that's how it usually is. I truly am sorry. And I do love you."

Stef nodded, hugging me as if she knew how much I needed a hug. We went our separate ways: I cleaned the kitchen and she cleaned the living room, already making her way to the guest bedroom. I told her to be extra careful cleaning the guest bedroom because I knew how annoying my mom could be when it came to organization.

As soon as I finished cleaning the kitchen, my phone rang: Mom.

I picked it up. "Hey, Mom, how's it going?" I said.

"Hey, sweetheart. I was at the airport and I figured I'd just meet you at your apartment and save you the trip here. But, as it turns out, when I got there I ran into Taylor, your neighboor, and she told me you'd moved out."

Crap. No. Way.

"Mom, I thought you and Daddy were gonna get here at 7ish." I said, confused.

"Oh your father had to work so he couldn't make it. That's why I thought I'd catch an early flight and surprise you, but I guess you surprised me instead."

"Where are you?" I tried to keep things practical.

"Your old building, it seems." Mom said in a tone I didn't exactly appreciate. But then again, she didn't appreciate the fact that I moved and simply didn't tell her.

"I'm on my way." I let her know and immediately got ready to meet her, not at all excited about explaining my life to her and apologizing for being a terrible daughter given what I did.

Still, I had to meet her. Now.

AN: YIKES. So Lena and Dana's relationship is a bit more complicated than Stef had anticipated... Certainly not a boring weekend ahead of them.

Thanks so much for your ongoing support by voting, commenting and reading this story!