9

LENA'S POV

    As soon as I found Mom standing outside my old building, I knew I had it coming. I really wanted to start the right way with her, but I didn't see this coming at all.

    "Hey, Mom. How was your flight?" I asked, as she got in and sat down beside me, placing her bags in the backseat.

    "Well, if not here, where do you live now?" She asked, avoiding my question.

    No hugs, nothing. "You'll see it in a few minutes, I-"

    "What was wrong with this place? I always liked it. Well, maybe that's what was wrong I guess."

    I sighed, finding this hard already. "Remember Stef, my girlfriend?"

    "Oh you're still seeing her?" Mom asked.

    "Yes, Mom. We've been together for almost six months." My grip on the steering wheel was tighter than ever.

    "Huh. Okay. The journalist?"

    "That'd be her. So, listen, we're pretty serious now. We have been for a little while. So I moved out of the old apartment for us to move in together." Boom. I'd dropped the bomb.

    She swallowed hard. "I see. So I'm staying with you both then..."

    "Yes, but listen- I'm sorry I didn't give you a heads up on this, but we'll make sure everything's fine. We have a guest room set up and clean all ready for you-"

    "I see. How's this Stef woman? Do you really like her?"

    I smiled. I was in love. "I love her. She's amazing, smart, beautiful, hardworking, caring-"

    "Like Gretchen, then."

    "Nothing like Gretchen." I gritted my teeth.

    I signaled to the right and entered my new street, soon parking in our garage spot. "This is the place."

    We both got out of the car and I picked up her bags and headed to the elevator.

    "Just- be nice to Stef, okay? She's a little nevous about meeting you."

    Mom hugged me. "I only want what's best for you."

    "I know. I think she's the best for me."

    I grabbed my keys and opened the door. Soon, we were inside. I gave Mom a little tour of our kitchen and when we moved to the living room, there was Stef.

    She got up from the couch and made her way towards us.

    My girlfriend had changed: she was now wearing black pants and a white shirt, both very unrevealing. Oh God, she really wants to impress Mom. She loves me that much. Her hair looked as good as always, short and blonde.

    "Mom, this is Stef."

    "Nice to meet you, Mrs. Adams. I've heard so much about you," Stef extended her hand.

    Mom did the same. "Nice to meet you, Stef." I could tell she was staring at Stef rather judgy. But my girlfriend seemed fine with it. 

    "Show me around, daughter of mine." Mom asked.

    I showed her the guest bedroom and Stef helped put Mom's suitcase in there. Once we were finally settled in, Stef got a call.

    "Excuse me, I have to take this," she said and went into our bedroom.