11

I watched Stef walk towards the bathroom after excusing herself and not answering my mother's question. I knew she was going to act a little weird, but I didn't ever think she would panick like this. Now I was kinda panicking myself, too.

    "Damn it, Mom, why did you have to do that? I specifically talked to you about this earlier!" I rose my tone of voice.

    "I had to do it because it seems like nobody else will. That's what I'm here for, give you two a little push..." She said.

    "No, you're here to spend time with me, your beloved daugther. Not to destroy what's going on between Stef and me."

    Mom shook her head. "What even is going on between you two? That's what I'm trying to figure out. She's completely terrified by the idea of you having kids. Honey, you're 28. How old is she?"

    "She's 32." I said.

    "I'm even more concerned now!"

    Two minutes after way more arguing with my mother, Stef was nowhere to be found. I started to worry until I got a text from her: "Tyson needed my help with an article. I'm at his place, I'll be home tonight."

    What??? I couldn't believe this. Stef conveniently decided to help Tyson, an intern at the paper, when we needed to talk. Although her way of avoiding her feelings doesn't surprise me anymore, this time it did, because she left dinner. And myself. And my MOTHER. For someone who was trying so hard to grow on my mother, she certainly didn't seem to care so much anymore.

    I decided the best reply to this was no reply. I didn't say anything because I didn't even know what to say. We had so much to talk about, but we'd have to do it in person.

    On the way home, my mother made sure to comment about Stef's rude manners, and how she didn't approve of this so much anymore. I couldn't defend my girlfriend at that point for I was so upset that I agreed with Mom on some things. Mom and I went out to have ice cream and I got a little caught up with her and dad's lives. Then we finally headed home and I graded papers until 9PM, which is when Stef came home.

    I heard her walking into our bedroom, Mom was already fast asleep and I stopped immediately when she got in and closed the door.

    "Hey, Lena! I need to talk to you," she said, obviously drunk off her ass, dragging her words.

    I shook my head. This was getting worse and worse.

    "You're drunk."

    "I think I am," she laughed. "I had a few drinks with Ty. Great guy, you should meet." Stef seemed as happy as ever, as if she'd just now met her BFF.

    I took a deep breath and sat down on our bed comfortably. "I need some sleep. We'll talk tomorrow."

    "Nooo, Lena!! We need to talk now. Because now I'm strong enough," she said, pointing at her muscles and laughing like a child. "I mean, strong enough to talk! Like, have more courage and stuffs."

    I wanted to cry. I honestly wished to cry because none of this was going as planned. None of this.

    "Ok, don't talk, I'll talk. I am sooo not ready to have kids." Then she burst out laughing.

    "And that's funny?" I didn't want to interact with her in any way, I should sleep and she should sleep this alcohol off so we could talk tomorrow.

    "Yeah, because... it's me telling you the truth about this. I did it!"

    "Will you ever want kids?" I asked, scared of the answer I was going to receive.

    "I don't know. I might..." she shrugged.

    "Ok, well, I need some sleep. Just please shower if you're sleeping next to me."

    "Of course!!" She said, going to the bathroom and closing the door.

    I cried myself to sleep.

AN: I know this is way too short (!!) but I'll update again this weekend, just wanted to post this part now. Anyways, Stef is being a jerk, but let's remain hopeful.

Thank you for reading, voting, your comments... it all means so much! 🧡