23

STEF'S POV

TWO MONTHS LATER

    The day finally came when I'd surprise Lena. She didn't notice a thing as I managed to hide it all very well, lying to her about my weekend plans. I'd responded her good morning text as if I weren't on my way to the airport to see her in just a few hours.

________________________________________________________________________________

     After long hours of flying, I got into a cab and said Lena's address. When I got out of the cab, I felt nervous, as if I were doing something wrong. Something didn't quite feel right, but I ignored my instincts and decided to go anyway. My head was probably just fuzzy from flying and jet lag.

    As soon as I got there, I knocked on Lena's door and a stranger opened it. 

    "Hi?" She looked at me curiously. She was tall, thin, innocent-looking, with blue eyes and dark hair. 

    I swallowed, surprised at her opening my girlfriend's door. "Hello... I'm sorry, I must have the wrong address... I'm looking for Lena Adams?"

    "Oh! You mean Liz." I shook my head and nearly interrupted her to say I'd actually meant Lena. "Liz, babe, someone's at the door for you!" She said in a British accent. 

    Babe? Liz? I definitely didn't have the right address.

    "Who could it be? It's nearly midnight." I heard Lena's voice as she made her way to the door.

    I sighed. What the fuck? 

    "Stef!" Lena said, surprised. She was holding a bottle of beer and didn't exactly look sober. 

    I looked at her confusedly, as she set the beer bottle on the counter and kissed me.

    I kissed her like I meant it, but I couldn't help but feel extremely confused about everything. Who on Earth was this woman? Why was she calling my girlfriend Liz - or, even worse, babe? 

    I pulled away from Lena. 

    "What are you doing here? You have work on Monday!" Lena asked, but she couldn't stop smiling.

    "I'm- Actually, who is this?" I asked, pointing towards the stranger who never stopped looking at us.

    Lena laughed. "Sorry, honey. This is Beth, she's a professor as well. We met during one of our social activities here. And Beth, this is my girlfriend, Stef."

    "Oh, it's nice to meet you!" She smiled at me politely and I just nodded. 

    After a few seconds of awkward silence, Beth spoke. "I'm gonna head home. It's getting late anyway, Liz, I'll see you around."

    Lena nodded and smiled politely. "Yeah, no problem. See you later, Beth. Thanks for keeping me company."

    Beth winked at Lena, who didn't seem to have a problem being called Liz, and left.

    Lena closed the door and smiled at me, hugging me and kissing my neck all at once. "Mmmhm I've missed you."

    "Have you changed your name?" I asked.

    Lena laughed. "What? Why?"

    I pulled away from her seriously. "Liz?"

   Lena giggled. "Oh, that. Well, you know my full name is Lena Elizabeth Adams. And Beth's name is Elizabeth, she just thought it'd be funny to call me Liz... Which is what everyone's been calling me these days, actually."