A Companion

As we began walking back to the house, I spotted a man on the horizon watching over us.
His black hair was slicked back, his eyes a strong brown.

     I raised an eyebrow.  "Can I help you?"

     "What... Is that thing?..." He said in an ever so confused manner.

     "I uh.." I realized he was talking about Peyton, I glanced around for a moment" A dragon...."

     "Awesome!"  I watched as some sort of bird flew up behind him. It was smaller than a dragon, yet it had fiery wings.  It also had a beak.  It slowly dawned upon me that this was the mythical Phoenix... The bird reborn from the ashes.

     "Woah... Is that... A Phoenix?" I stared at the bird in awe, although I'm not sure why I was so confused considering I had a dragon for a best friend.

     He grinned.  "Yep, found her when I was 12 and we've been friends ever since."  He stepped closer to us and I could see his features clearly, his jawline defined, his eyebrows sharp.  I blushed a little, he's actually pretty hot.

     "Wow... When you were 12?"

     "Yep," he grinned. "Aye, that's a pretty strong looking dragon you've got there."

     I smiled.  "Her name is Peyton, and she doesn't just look it, she is strong."

     He chuckled.  "I can see, she did just tear apart that tornado."

     "Wait a minute!  How long you been standing there!?!" I demanded, shocked.

     He looked embarrassed.  "Erm... A while..."

     "Not cool! You can't just spy on people whenever you feel like it!"

     "I'm sorry!  It's just... I couldn't help it... You looked so strong riding that dragon... As if you had no worries in the world..." he had a bit of a dreamy looked in his eyes.

     I blushed.  "Th-thanks... I guess..."

     He smiled.  I sat down on the edge of the pond and he sat next to me.  "So how long have you known Peyton?"  He asked.

     "Hm... Since the 8th grade I think... I actually raised her from an egg."

     "Wow really?!?  That's awesome!!" I said with enthusiasm.

     We chatted for hours before had to go. I almost wish he had stayed.. he's really hot.