CHAPTER EIGHTEEN - Christmas Eve Ball

Before Timber realized what had happened, it was Christmas Eve. The whole city was glowing with lights and it reflected off the freshly fallen snow so beautifully it looked like a postcard. Timber ran to her bedroom and grabbed her digital camera and opened the window to take a photo to send to Aunt Grace and Xianna. When she had the image, she closed the window and set her camera beside her Christmas tree. It had nothing under it yet but there were over a dozen gifts just for Renegade hiding in Timber's closet all from friends and several members of Timber's side of the family in Louisiana and Tennessee. There was also a gift from Henry's brother, Charles, and his family.

Timber had been quite surprised by the snow on the first day. She had asked Henry about it because to her, it didn't make sense. They were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Henry had explained that it was a magical snow. Lord Frost and the other Highers had enchanted the top of the protective barrier to snow during the winter. They didn't control the weather so if they were hit with extra cold rain and magical snow, the island would turn into a bit of a slushy mess but it had not happened yet, so Timber was content to enjoy the snow.

Timber had taken Renegade out in a wool lined basket and completed her Christmas shopping in one afternoon. The shops in Heiligdom had a surprisingly large selection of unique and handmade gifts and they were all lined along the city square. It was a thrilling experience to be shopping for Christmas gifts while it was snowing but that was over and all of her packages were mailed out the week before so the only thing that concerned Timber at the moment was Christmas Eve preparations.

"Timber?" called Henry from Renegade's room.

"Coming," said Timber. She closed the window and went to help Henry. "What's wrong?"

"Something is wrong with Renegade," said Henry. "He's really tense and he's not moving!"

"Oh, he's fine!" said Timber happily. Henry looked outraged for a moment. "He's trying to Turn," Timber added quickly, seeing Henry's face. It relaxed. "Just watch."

Renegade blinked and Henry and Timber saw hazel eyes, exactly identical in color to Henry's. He held that color for only a second before they turned ice blue again. Henry picked Renegade up and held him to his face.

"I'm so proud of you, Son!" Renegade responded by licking Henry's cheek continuously. "Trying to Turn a week after fully opening his eyes. That's amazing!"

Timber took a picture, smiled, and said, "Everyone will love this. Come on. We have to start getting ready for Christmas dinner. Do we host all the Highers every Christmas?"

"Yes. This was the original Sanctuary. It's a tradition. It's also traditional for Lords and Ladies to dance first before the dance floor opens up."

"So just us then?"

"Usually it's Lord Frost as he is the oldest Higher and Aiyanna accompanies him. Then Lord Avanti and Jaci. Before the war, Lord Moffett and the other Highers would dance but they're dead so the opening dances will take less time than they used to. There are also the Elf Lords, Fairy Lords, Dwarf Lords, and Goblin Lords, though they rarely attend. Not that anyone minds. Goblins have a reputation for being short-tempered and rude."

"I didn't know there were so many Lords," said Timber.

"Only ones with a large population," said Henry, "or so I've been told. So, if I were you, I would choose a song for us to dance to in that rather large collection of yours."

"Are you alright with a country song?" asked Timber and Henry raised his eyebrow.

"You know I only tolerate that music for your sake," said Henry with a roll of his eyes, "but I think I know what song you have in mind. Alright, we'll do a country swing dance but only because dancing to Metallica or AC/DC on Christmas Eve doesn't seem very appropriate." Then he grinned. "You just like it when I lift you over my head and toss you around."